Please sign in to post.

Marseilles

Hello Everyone

My Fiance and I will be stopping in Marseilles for 3 nights next year as part of our Honeymoon. I am wondering if anyone can provide me with any suggestions as to what we can do while we are there. My mom's family is from Marseilles so I will be with them the 3 nights and they would like us to give them any ideas for what we may want to do. Marseilles is our stop right in the middle of an 18 day European trip so we were thinking of using this time to relax and unwind but I still want to visit places and enjoy the area. I was thinking of asking them to take us to a neighboring town or village for one of the days. Something relaxing with good scenery. How is Aix-en-Provence? From what I have researched it is only about 30 minutes from Marseilles. My family will be able to drive us around so I won't have to worry about transportation. Are there any other ideas for other cities that are very close or other things to do in those 3 nights? Like I said, I want it to be a relaxing 3 days where I can absorb the culture and environment as opposed to running around to museums. We are also spending 5 nights in Paris and 5 nights in London so that will be the time for us to do the running around. All ideas are appreciated. Thank you :)

Posted by
253 posts

Visit Cassis and take a boat ride to the Calanques. They run pretty much all day. Also drive to the top of the mountain overlooking Cassis for AMAZING views.

Posted by
13 posts

Since I have 3 nights maybe 1 day visit Cassis, 1 day Aix-en-Provence and then one day just stay local? Maybe I could stay local the first day I get there. Do you think Aix-en-Provence is worth the visit from Marseilles? How far are the Provence Lavender fields from Marseilles? Thanks :)

Posted by
3685 posts

There are lots of lavender fields in Provence. Maybe, the closest to Marseille might be those in Pays de Valensole -- maybe 1 to 1.5 hour drive. Of course, the time of year that you will be traveling matters because the fields are not in bloom all the time (assuming that you want to see that).

Posted by
253 posts

Aix to me is a nice city with a pretty promenade main street. That's about it. Arles, an hour from Marseilles, is much more interesting and Provencal with a 2000 thousand year old Roman arena and theater, the Van Gogh sights and a great Saturday market. Most towns and villages have a market day so maybe you could just find one that is on your free day. Food, clothing, arts and crafts on display to give you a real sense of the local culture. Thirty minutes past Arles is Nimes with an excellent Roman arena and temple. Very nice city. Another 30 minutes and you can see the amazing Pont du Gard Roman aqueduct which is a Wow. 90 minutes back to Marseilles. That would eat up a day and you would see some great scenery and spectacular historic sights.

Posted by
3685 posts

Totally, agree with Brian's post. That would be a great day although maybe not as relaxing as you might like but as between Arles and Aix, Arles, IMO, is the more interesting place to spend a day.