Please sign in to post.

French Riviera in December?

We are looking at doing the French Riviera at the end of December - is this not recommended? Thought it would be a great way to enjoy the area without the crowds. Any suggestions on towns to visit (or are they shut down)? Weather? If we did this option, should we make our way up and stop at towns along the way and end at Lyon? Or should we explore Riviera then travel from Nice to Paris for a few nights?

Posted by
3940 posts

I haven't been to the Riviera in Dec (I was there late Sept) but I have a facebook friend who lives in Nice and he was posting pictures on New Years Eve and day showing restaurants with their tables still beach side. Maybe that is an anomaly? People seemed to be walking around with light cardigans/jackets on. I imagine the chance of rain is higher, and really short daylight hours, but it looked enticing!

Posted by
137 posts

We will be in Nice the week of Christmas. I would suggest checking out the Trip Advisor Nice forum as that is where I have gotten my info. There are a couple of Nice experts who will answer any questions you might have. You will learn more about the weather, which can be up to 60 - but don't plan on that! From what I have read, there is plenty to do during Christmas in Nice. It does not close down like most cities. Do use the specific Nice forum on Trip Advisor for your best info. They have lots of suggestions for places to visit. We plan on exploring outside of Nice and will take the train over the border to Italy as that is a quick trip.

Posted by
13 posts

Awesome, thanks for the replies! I will head over to the Nice forum!