Please sign in to post.

Giverny

Is Giverny worth a visit in late May? is there much growing then?

Posted by
186 posts

Both my visits were in the summer months, July and August. I asked a worker at Giverny what his favorite time in the garden was. He said that it would have to be the springtime. He mentioned the irises. I imagine late May would be especially beautiful.

Posted by
186 posts

Here's a link with a list of flowers blooming in May: giverny.org/gardens/fcm/calendar.htm

Posted by
672 posts

Absolutely! We visited there on May 23rd of this year and the gardens and lily pond were in full bloom.

Posted by
784 posts

IMO Giverny is worth a visit just about any time of the year. Monet painted the change of light during different seasons and at various times of the day and year. While the.flowers are.pretty, especially in spring and summer, it is the light on the.pond that I think is what is really special. Of course, I wouldn't expect the gardens to offer much, if anything in the winter.

Posted by
295 posts

May is a great time to visit. Lots should be in bloom and everything should be really green. I really liked the one time I was there and am so glad I visited. Follow it up with a visit to Orangerie to see his paintings.

Posted by
2181 posts

We were there 3 years ago at a different time of year, but I responded because of the seeds we bought there. When we're there in 2011, I bought some of their seed packets of sunflowers. They ended up in the back of a drawer and didn't resurface until this summer. Figuring I had nothing to loose, I planted them in June. They are incredible! They not only grew, but there several varieties. I am hoping they will reseed themselves for years to come. I just thought I'd mention this because sometimes you see those things and wonder if they'll really work. They also make an easy souvenir to pack.

Posted by
79 posts

I went in May this year and it was breathtaking!