Please sign in to post.

Reservations or not?

We're planning a free-form visit via rental car in the first two weeks of September.

In the late 90s, we just found gites along the route, either by following signs or using the tourist information offices. Now, I'm wondering if that's still practical or if I should be reserving rooms ahead of time.

Thanks,

Brad

Posted by
16893 posts

I did the same in the 90s and would be willing to do so again, since the car gives you the flexibility to move on to the next town or to rural accommodations that train travelers can't reach. To me, flexibility means being too tied to a particular location, amenities, or budget.

Posted by
8293 posts

I have made 5 or 6 road trips in France, admittedly not in high season, taking our chances on finding a decent place to stay each night. Never had a problem as long as we didn't leave it until too late in the day to start looking. We found some real gems, the one I remember best was just outside of Nyons.

Posted by
784 posts

Personally, I like having reservations. I tend to drive too long and having reservations makes me stop for the day. I also don't like the idea of having to spend time looking for a place to stay and being disappointed. After a long day of driving, I like knowing where I'm going to sleep. I also like to spend two or three nights in one place, which might be hard to do without booking in advance. Reservations also give me some assurance of getting.the type.of room I want,eg., a double with two beds. September is also a busy season, so vacancies might be limited. You could try calling ahead in the early afternoon. I often do that when traveling in the US, but I don't know how practical that would be in Europe.