Please sign in to post.

Biking in Loire Valley

My son is in Paris and wants to go biking to the chateaus in the Loire Valley. He is going to take a train from Paris to Blois on a friday and stay overnight. He would rent a bike in Blois and ride from there to Chambord (see that) then ride to Chaumont. Maybe stay around there that night. Then go to Chenonceaux and into Ambroise.
I see bike trails from Chaumont to Chenonceau and to Ambroise. But not seeing any from Blois to Chambord then to Chaumont.
Is it best to stay on the bike trails?
I wasnt sure what the roads are like around that area to bike on?
Any input would be awesome.

Posted by
35 posts

Though it's been a few years, I have biked in the Loire Valley and had a great time. We biked on the roads which had good surface and light traffic, some with bike lanes. The Blois tourist office website (http://www.bloischambord.co.uk) could be useful, and when your son in there in person he can ask for the free bike map "Le Pays des Chateaux a Velo."

Posted by
233 posts

I've only biked from Amboise to Chenonceau and back, and that was in 2009, but the roads were fine (better than ours in Michigan right now!), and the traffic was light enough that it didn't cause me worry. It was so fun! I then took the bus to Chambord and Cheverny and the train to Chaumont because of time (and energy), but biking to them all would have been great. Hope he has a great time!

Posted by
1068 posts

I've biked the Loire Valley and never set wheel on a trail. I just biked along the side of the road. Traffic is pretty light, and most folks expect there expect to share the road with cyclists.

Staying on the road, rather than sequestering oneself on trails, also facilitates dropping in a caves, cafes, and the like. :-)