Please sign in to post.

Strasbourg to Heidelberg

We are looking for the most effective way to get from Strasbourg to Heidelberg. For trains, is raileurope.com the best website for finding good train fares/options? Does anyone know what the bus system is like? Recommendations would be appreciated!

Posted by
20089 posts

Nooo! Use www.bahn.com, the German website. You can even find some connections you can buy right now for 29 euro, advance purchase nonrefundable. Basiscally one connection every hour, taking anywhere from less than 2 hours to over 3 hours.

Posted by
8 posts

That is amazing to hear! Thank you for that advice!

Posted by
11294 posts

To amplify Sam's reply, Rail Europe is a reseller. They do not list all trains, and they mark up (sometimes substantially) the tickets they do sell. Stay as far away from them as possible.

To get schedules, use the Bahn website. Here's Rick's tutorial, with a link to a version that's even easier to use: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/db_tips.htm

This site will only have prices for trains that start or end in Germany (so your route qualifies). You will see the advance purchase price for non-refundable tickets, and the full price if you don't want to book ahead and be locked in to a particular train. If you do book an advance ticket, you print it out; on the train, you need this printout as well as the credit card you used to book the ticket. On the train, the conductor scans your ticket, then swipes your credit card, and you're set. Note that for advance tickets, there's an even greater discount for two or more traveling together.

Posted by
20089 posts

From your previous topics, I gather you will be doing this as a day trip. You say "we", so I assume there are at least 2 of you. Here is how you do it cheap. I'll assume there are 2 of you for my example.
Buy two train tickets from Strasbourg to Appenweier for 6.20 euro each. Take the 8:22 train, gets you to Appenweier at 8:45. At Appenweier, purchase a Baden-Wurttemberg Laender Ticket out of the station vending machine. For 2 people that will be 27 euro, (23 euro plus 4 euro for each additional person). You can now travel anywhere in the state of Baden-Wurttemberg on regional trains (no fast ICE or IC trains) after 9 am, and that includes Heidelberg. The next train is at 9:12 to Karlsruhe where you will change to a local train to Heidelberg. You'll be in Heidelberg by 11:11 and can spend the day. Your ticket is still good for your return to Appenweier by the end of the day, where you just buy another 6.20 ticket to Strasbourg.
All told, that comes to 51.80 for the two of you. Your last departure from Heidelberg is at 8:48 pm to get you to Strasbourg on the stroke of midnight. This is the weekday schedule and prices.