Please sign in to post.

Have you been to Reims, France?

Hello all! Has anyone been to Reims, France? I'm thinking of going for the day, and taking a tour of the Veuve Cliquot champagne house, and walking around the city. Is Reims worth a day trip from Paris? Or not?
Thank you!

Posted by
12 posts

Ohhh.. Really, Alex? You don't like Reims, it seems?!
So, you think maybe it's not worth a day trip there, since I only have 3 days in Paris? And this trip would take all day.
Maybe I should stay in Paris, and just have a bottle of champagne there?
Thank you for your reply!

Posted by
1064 posts

I liked Reims, especially the cathedral and the downtown area. True, most of the buildings are 20th century, including some nice hotels and restaurants, but there is a large collection of art deco buildings you don't find elsewhere in France. A lot of the city did have a U.S. look to it, but I did not see the ugly parts. The only thing of interest to us in Reims was the cathedral, but we used the city as a base to visit WWI sites, including Verdun. I don't like champagne, so we did not take those tours. I would not give up a day in Paris for Reims. The cathedral is impressive, but not as much as Notre Dame.

Posted by
355 posts

Have you been to Paris before? Three days is not very long in Paris, so you may want to just stay in Paris.

If you want to take a day trip to champagne, I would recommend Epernay over Reims. I really loved Epernay. There are fewer champagne houses there, but the town is so much nicer than Reims. I didn't like Reims. The cathedral is beautiful, but I thought the city was unpleasant. But that's just my opinion.

Posted by
1994 posts

I did a day trip from Paris to Reims for the main basilica of the city, which was lovely. I was even more impressed with the basilica of S Remi, a really beautiful Romanesque church. I'm glad I went. However I agree with the other folks; beyond those churches, I was not impressed with the city.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you all very much for your kind and informative replies!
And yes, Alex, I see that you are French, so I appreciate your thoughts.
And thank you for the replies that said Reims is more of a of modern city, so to speak.
Perhaps I will think about Epernay. OR, maybe I will just stay in Paris for my three days.
Seems that might be better than going to Reims!

Posted by
16894 posts

With just three days, I would stay in Paris. You will not run out of things to do or opportunities for food and wine. Reims has been made "closer" by the introduction of fast TGV trains on that route; tickets cost 35-45 euros each way if not booked ahead.

Posted by
6567 posts

Reims Cathedral is one of the great ones, for history as well as architecture. But if I had only three days in Paris, I wouldn't go anywhere outside the city.

Posted by
10261 posts

With only 3 days in Paris you don't have time for a day trip in my opinion. There is just too much to see in Paris.

Posted by
3735 posts

Plus 1 for the prior two responses. With only 3 days in Paris, I would not head out of town unless I had been to Paris before. That being said, the cathedral in Reims is of great historical significance and is worth a visit. The town of Reims is not particularly picturesque. We enjoyed the Taittinger champagne tour but do not expect to see any champagnes at the tours at the big houses there that you cannot find in the US often at a lower price.

Posted by
2374 posts

I liked Reims Cathedral better than Notre Dam but if I only had three days in Paris I would just stay there and not spend a day to go there, there is so much to see in Paris. The town or city itself is in my opinion not worth any of my time.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you ALL again for your wonderful replies.
I think I've decided not to go to Reims (no offense to the people of Reims)! But with such limitied time in Paris,
I will stay in or around Paris. (and possibly go to Epernay, which as recommended, sounds cuter and smaller)
Happy travels!