Please sign in to post.

Chartres Cathedral

Visiting the Cathedral is a bucket list experience for me, particularly experiencing the glass and walking the labyrinth, and precisely what brings me to France. I am planning to spend one day there in late September, actually right after the Chartres Light Festival. I'm having difficulty discovering the following:

Is the labyrinth only uncovered on Friday mornings? Can I walk it then?
Should I do both a private (150e) and public tour with Malcolm Miller?
Besides the obvious stained glass, what parts of the church can and should I explore?

Thank you!
Laurie

Posted by
299 posts

Hi Laurie - I don't know the answer to your question about the labyrinth but I've taken MM's public tour and I can't see how much better a private tour would be (though maybe someone on this thread has been on one). He's truly wonderful and the groups are small enough that you can ask questions.

We climbed the towers (7 € each), a long climb up narrow circular stairs – past gargoyles and towers and flying buttresses and 700-year-old wooden scaffolding with iron rivets. We were about the only ones climbing them on a weekday in September. The walkway at the top which encircles the whole tower was thrilling and gave us a close-up view of the monsters and saints. You're up ¾ of the height of the whole edifice and can get some awesome pictures!

Posted by
2261 posts

Laurie, I found this at the Discover Chartres site, although I, too, would really like to hear it confirmed from someone here who has done it recently: Chartres cathedral labyrinth opens for walking every Friday from 10am to 5pm, from Lent (between February 20 and March 20) until All Saints' Day (November 1)
We will be taking a day trip-probably on a Friday-to Chartres in the fall. It is really interesting to read about the photo, gargoyle, and stair climbing opportunities from Dorothy, too.

Posted by
485 posts

Here's what it says on the Chartres Cathedral website http://www.cathedrale-chartres.org about the labyrinth:
"The labyrinth is open to the meditative journey each Friday between 10h and 17h, since the Lenten Season (according to the years: between 20 February and 20 March) up to the All Saints (1 November).
Celebrations can lead to its closure, during part of the day.
It is closed every year, the entire day of Good Friday.
For any other information, contact the district office of the cathedral."

So their website gives the same information that Dave said more succinctly.

There is also a place on the site to email them, if you want to check about your particular date.

Eight years ago my wife and I were walking the labyrinth when the Cathedral filled with the most beautiful voices. We were lucky enough to be there when a touring women's choir sang. Their voices - and the Cathedral's acoustics - enriched our experience immeasurably. I would have treasured the experience even without the choir but their music made it truly unforgettable.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

Posted by
3391 posts

The labyrinth is usually covered by rows of chairs that are there for services and, yes, they only uncover it once or twice per week according to the schedule on their website.
Definitely climb the tower - it's a stunning view and the structure of the cathedral is worth seeing from above. When we were there last time there were workers rappelling from the outside of the cathedral cleaning the exterior of the roof - brave souls!

Posted by
149 posts

Well be traveling to Paris later this year. In our 70s, we're not likely to be able to climb those stairs to enjoy the vaunted view; however, we'll certainly be including a trp to the Cathedral at Chartres in our Paris week, and we appreciate the tip that the Labyrinth is open just on Fridays. Of course we'll check the web site a bit before we expect to travel.

Posted by
16894 posts

Looks like you're on the right track. Bon voyage!

Posted by
40 posts

I would definitely spring for the tour with Malcom Miller. He is amazing, and will provide such rich and important context to what you're seeing. In my opinion, if you can afford one of the pre-eminent Chartres Cathedral scholars to give you a personal tour of the place, by all means, do it! See if you can sneak in a little Q&A time with him. One of the drawbacks is that he's usually tightly booked and kind of zips off after the allotted time, so be sure to get your questions in while he's talking.

Also, the town is adorable, too. Take some time in one of the restaurants next to the cathedral. Our favorite is Cafe Serpente... best entrecôte I had in France!

Have an awesome time. I'm jealous!