Please sign in to post.

Tour guides

We are traveling to France for the first time. The first part of our trip is a six day tour to Normandy, Mt St Michel, etc. we want to then spend some days in Paris, but the purpose of our trip is to visit a monument in Treguier dedicated to an uncle who died there during the liberation. We have considered various options, like rail and rental car. We think the best option would be to just get a guide to take us there. How does one find such a person?

Posted by
10245 posts

Treguier is a beautiful town to visit in a beautiful area of Brittany and you have an even more important reason to be there. I have been there four times. I know you said you want a guide, but my only suggestion for that is to contact the office of tourism in Rennes, Guingamp, or if there is one in Treguier.

However, it's not that hard to get there. You can take a train to Rennes or Guingamp and rent a car. You could see about a taxi from Guingamp. Or, you could do it on your own fom Paris or better yet from Normandy directly. Access isn't difficult on the 4-lane highway to Guingamp. After you leave the four-lane (it's even free, not a toll road) you take the Brittany two-lane roads for only about twenty to thirty kilometers to get there. I highly recommend a GPS for any Brittany backroads. There are small crossroads everywhere in this area, many poorly signed. If you can get yourself to Normandy, you can get yourself to Treguier. Finally, for a good idea of the richness of the culture in Treguier and all of Brittany, you can order the Michelin green guide in English for Brittany. I promise you that you will fall in love with the place.