Please sign in to post.

Travel in France

We will be traveling to France and I have a couple of different questions.

For using a mobile phone within France for our 2 week visit - is it better to get a pre paid phone in France or a SIMS card for my current phone?

While in Avignon, we want to visit the palace. Is it necessary to buy tickets ahead for the tour? Any recommendations on doing the tour?

We have a small house in L'Isle sur Surgone for a week and will be doing day trips around the area. I have found many nice towns and villages to visit, but did not know if there are recommendations for some I might have missed - including any restaurants in the area.
THANKS!

Posted by
2261 posts

Darlene, I would highly recommend that you pick up a copy of Rick's Provence book-it will answer all these questions and more, it has a ton of info. With a week in the area, you need a guidebook, imho.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
3603 posts

Is the town your rental is located in L'Isle sur Sorgue? If so, I can give you lots of recommendations. We're staying about 5 minutes from there right now.

Posted by
11294 posts

To answer you phone question, people will need to know the following:

1. What is your current phone model and who is your US carrier?
  2. What do you want the phone for in France? Calls or texts to the US, calls to French numbers, calls or texts between members of your traveling party? Will you want or need data, and how much (just a little for quick web searches, or enough to send photos and the like)?

And it's SIM, for Subscriber Identity Module (the "brain" of a GSM phone).

Rick has a great introduction to the subject here (read the grey box on the right side first): http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/phones-tech/cell-phone-europe

Posted by
11294 posts

And yes, if you're going to spend more than a few days in the region, get Rick Steves Provence And The French Riviera. It has MUCH more information on this area than his general France book.

Posted by
50 posts

I have an Iphone and I got a SIM card from le french mobile. You can buy a card for something like 20 euro and then you get 15 euro credit. i have ordered and received my SIM card, put it in my phone to make sure it works, but haven't travelled yet. I would recommend them. They have been easy to deal with.

Posted by
4684 posts

I found the tour of the Palace architecturally and historically interesting, but some people are disappointed by the lack of furnishings inside the building. There's no need to book in advance - it works by audioguide rather than a group tour.