Please sign in to post.

French Translation App

Can anyone suggest a good French Translation App for the Samsung Galaxy 4. I am traveling to France at the end of the month and my French is very very limited. I would like to have a back-up to Rick Steves French dictionary, especially when navigating the flea markets. Thanks.

Posted by
32220 posts

Crystal,

I'm not sure you'll need a language translation app. You'll probably find that most people in tourist-related activities will have at least some basic English skills. However, it's also polite to learn a few of the common phrases such as good morning, please & thank you, good evening, etc. When entering shops, it's an important custom to greet the shop keeper with "Bonjour, Bonsoir" or whatever.

A couple of language app's you could have a look at.....

• Vocre - this is a full speech recognition translator, which seems to work quite well according to THIS video. However in my experience using an iPhone, the voice recognition part doesn't seem to work at all. It works if I type the words in, but that's a an awkward solution. At this point, the App is somewhat disappointing. One other important point to note regarding this App is that it may require data access, which could be expensive.
  • Jibbigo - this is also full speech translator and I've found it works reasonably well (but not perfect). Native French and German speakers have told me that it gets the meaning across, but it's not grammatically perfect. You can have a look at the Android Version on the website. One advantage of Jibbigo is that it works off-line which means no expensive data roaming charges. However, the files are very large (about 15 MB each) which could be a problem if your phone only has minimal memory.

One other point to mention is that taking out your phone each time you want to translate something will increase the risk of theft, as Smartphones are a popular item with thieves.

You might find it helpful to study the RS French book on the long plane ride, as that will be faster and easier in basic situations than translating with a phone. I try to follow the principle that the best translator app is the one sitting on top of my shoulders, so I always try to learn a few of the polite words in each country I visit.

You might find it interesting to read this opinion on the subject.....

http://www.fluentin3months.com/translator-app/

Bon Voyage!

Posted by
1021 posts

Apps are clumsy tools in social situations. Gestures and fingers for numbers are simple and efficient in shops and markets. I wouldn't worry about not knowing the language. We know some French but still use the Collins French-English dictionary app for deciphering restaurant menus, understanding idioms, etc. We have iPhones but I imagine you can find the app or an equivalent for your phone.

Posted by
2081 posts

Crystal,

If you want to look at a cool realtime text translation app, take a look at "Word Lens". it uses your phones camera and translates the words in real time. You don't have to "snap" a picture and wait for a transition. This app will be soooooo cool for google glasses. the only thing missing would be a voice translation app. Star Trek here we come.

Happy trails.

Posted by
3941 posts

I just downloaded 'word lens' today on my iPad. Very cool. Will work with signs, menus...written word, but you can't type a word in...I don't think. But I'm hoping it comes in handy in Italy. And it's free right now, as are the translation packs...

Posted by
32220 posts

Word Lens is covered in the "Fluent in 3 months" link that I provided above. The author of the Blog (who worked as a professional translator) was not impressed. His opinion seems to jive with what I was hearing from native speakers concerning the accuracy of translations.

Posted by
3941 posts

I would think it would be OK for things like menus and signs, it isn't meant for lots of text...just a few words. Seemed to work fine when I pointed it at the newspaper headlines and translated from English to French. I was looking thru early reviews of it and they sucked, but things seem to have improved...hopefully :). That link looks to be at least 3 yrs old, judging from the comments...and the crappy reviews given to Word Lens were back in 2010/11. Google just bought the company...if that means it has gotten better...