Please sign in to post.

train travel

August 20, I need to take the train from Paris to Montreux, Switzerland. Do I need to get a ticket in advance? Which Paris station does the train does the train leave from? Dorsey

Posted by
4140 posts

You don't NEED to get the ticket now , but if you buy it now on Voyages - SNCF ( French National Rail ) you can get a Lyria - flex ticket as low as 44EU . The train goes from Gare de Lyon . OOPPS! EDIT : That should be non - flex ! my thoughts got ahead of my typing .

Posted by
16893 posts

The TGV trains that run direct from Gare de Lyon to Geneve or Lausanne are expensive and subject to selling out, so get the discounted price now, if you can commit to travel date and time. Rick’s France rail travel page has the link and tips for buying “Prems” rate TGV tickets through SNCF (cheap, reserved, nonrefundable, available three or four months ahead of your travel date) to print at home and pay with PayPal. It does not tend to work with US credit cards, unless you have an extra level of security set up. If you buy the connecting ticket to Montreux at the same time, it won't include (doesn't need) a seat reservation.

Posted by
4140 posts

When you purchase the ticket , be sure to uncheck the box that says direct trains only , the listed fare includes the train from Lausanne to Montreaux and choose France as your ticket collection country . Notify your bank prior to making the transaction ,and you should have no difficulty in purchasing the ticket .