Please sign in to post.

grocery stores in Paris?

We just arrived in Paris and are staying in the Marais in a vacation rental. We need items for cooking and the little markets are very limited. Does anyone know of a grocery store somewhat close to our area? Thank you for your help.
Jody

Posted by
16893 posts

Hi, Jody. Here are some shopping ideas from p. 422 of Rick's Paris book:

Markets: The Marais has three good farmers' markets close by: the sprawling Marché de la Bastille, along Boulevard Richard Lenoir, on the north side of Place de la Bastille (Thu and Sun until 14:30); the Marché d’Aligre (Tue-Sat 9:00-14:00), closed Mon; and Paris’ oldest covered market, the Marché des Enfants Rouges, a 10-minute walk north of Rue de Rivoli. A small grocery is open until 23:00 on Rue St. Antoine (near intersection with Rue Castex). To shop at a Parisian Sears, find the BHV department store next to Hôtel de Ville.

If you don't have it, you may be able to find that book for sale at:
Livres et Objets du Monde at 55 Rue Sainte Anne,
Librairie Galignani at 224 Rue de Rivoli, or
W H Smith, the English Bookstore at 248 Rue de Rivoli.

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks for your reply. I have both my Paris and Amsterdam,Bruges and Brussels travel books. I w as looking for more practical items like clothes detergent, paper towels,etc.
I had a huge surprise while in Amsterdam a few days ago. My husband and I were at the Riksmuseum when in walked Rick Steve's. We asked for a picture and he graciously agreed!!! I am such a fan. Jody

Posted by
1976 posts

According to Google, there is a Monoprix Saint Paul at 71 Rue Saint-Antoine in the Marais. Monoprix is a bigger grocery store and may have the items you're looking for.

Posted by
2030 posts

Yes, Monoprix stores are all over Paris, and you will find everything you need there. There's even one on the Champs Elysee where I've shopped for food.

Posted by
6502 posts

There's a small Monoprix (called "Monop'") on the Rue de Rivoli just east of Rue Vieille du Temple, on the north side of the street. It has the staples you're looking for and a lot more, if you're staying in that part of the Marais.

Posted by
4044 posts

The bigger Monoprix stores often have a decent choice of wines and other spirits, at least enough to do you until you can hit a specialized store at higher prices. Also bottled water (although tap water is fine) and beer by the pack.

Posted by
10188 posts

I was going to tell you exactly the same Monoprix as Sarah did, so consider this yet another endorsement.

Posted by
26 posts

Success...We went to the Monoprix on Rue St Antoine and found all that we needed. Thanks for all the helpful hints. We really appreciate your input.
Jody