Please sign in to post.

Mont St Michel

I will be spending three days touring the DDay sites next week. Covering ground from the Merville Battery to Pointe de Hoc and Ste mere Eglise while basing in Bayeux. The fourth day I have a 6PM flight out of CDG and was wondering if it were possible/worthwhile driving to Mont St Michel without going in and touring; just visiting from the outside. Is this even possible as I was planning to visit the Gold Beach museum on the way to CDG.

Posted by
9110 posts

Get up early enough and you can do anything.

You have to walk away from the car lot no later than three. You've right at six hours of driving if everything goes exactly right. You'll want to eat, see the museum at Gold Beach, buy gas. You'll want some cushion in case you get twisted around or caught in traffic.

What's your Plan B for getting home if something goes wrong -- other than buying a new ticket?

Posted by
56 posts

Really no plan B. My original plan was not to visit MSM but just go from Bayeux to Gold Beach to the Radar musuem and then to CDG. Just trying to see if a trip to MSM was doable.

Posted by
355 posts

Where are you driving from on your way to Bayeux? If you allowed enough time/got an early start, could you do this before arriving in Bayeux? I would be a little nervous about something going wrong and missing my flight, if I did it on the last day. But I will say, even without going in, Mont St. Michel is quite a striking sight as you approach it by car.

Posted by
56 posts

I will be using Bayeux as my base for three full days from Merville Battery on the east to Utah Beach and Crisbecq in the west. My only opportunity would be my final day getting to CDG for a 6PM flight. It appears I'll have to skip MSM this trip.