Please sign in to post.

Need itinerary help

Taking a long awaited first trip to Europe with my wife and I need some help planning. On enlisted military and teacher's salary I don't see us going back anytime soon so we wanted to see a little bit of everything. We will be spending 3-4 days in Paris, 2 days in Venice, 2 days in Tuscany, 3-4 days in Rome and 1 day in Naples (flying out).

So the big question is do we spend 3 days in Paris and 4 in Rome or vice versa? We're not big on art or history (e.g. we want to see the big sights but we're not hobbyists). We're mostly excited about the food and culture of Europe (as much as we can experience on a budget). So any advice on which city to spend more time in.

Posted by
20002 posts

I'd vote Paris for 4. Italy dominates the rest of the trip. Assume you are flying Paris-Venice. Yeah, food and culture; it needs 4 days, one of which will be getting over jet-lag.

Posted by
211 posts

Well which food do you like better -- French or Italian? ; ) But I agree with the previous poster. You have more days in Italy so 4 days in Paris is probably better.

Posted by
16893 posts

I would also spend 4 days in Paris; you won't get bored.

Posted by
7238 posts

If you don't have your flights booked, yet, I would recommend skipping Naples and flying out of Rome. I would add the "Naples day" to your time in village Tuscany since your other locations are in cities.

If you're concerned about budget, take the train between Venice, Tuscany area & Rome. Most of the Italian hotels come with breakfasts, and you could pick up fun picnic local foods at the grocery stores and then have a nicer dinner. Be sure you stay on the island(s) of Venice and not the mainland or you will waste a lot of time going back & forth.

Enjoy your trip! We love Paris & Italy!

Posted by
4132 posts

Another reason to tilt toward Paris: You may be jet lagged enough that the first day is less vivid. You will certainly have a lot on your plate settling in and learning the ropes on that day.

And I agree about skipping Napoli, fwiw.

Could you add a few more days? You'd never regret it.

Posted by
375 posts

I agree…skip Naples, as the trip seems a little rushed. Add it to your Tuscany days. Paris is awesome. There's lots to visit, but we love just walking about, eating, people watching. Relax and enjoy!

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks guys. I had to keep the Naples trip as flyomg out of Rome was considerably more money. Thanks.

Posted by
3391 posts

My husband and I are also both in education and on a budget every time we go. We have discovered a way to do it on the cheap though and it enables us to go overseas most summers - we home exchange. We pay for airfare and that's about it except, of course, the cost of seeing the sights, etc. It's something to consider! Home Exchange Website Maybe in the future it's something you'll want to try.