Please sign in to post.

airport transportation

We are planning a trip to Paris this August. We will be flying into CDG and our hotel is at 24 Carnot Ave in Paris. Since it is our 50th wedding anniversary we are splurging and are considering a taxi from the airport to the hotel. Does anyone know what that might cost? The other option we are considering is the Air France coach which drops off at 1 Carnot Ave so is quite close to our hotel. It would obviously be much less expensive. If we go that route is it line 2 that we want? It looks like that is the one from CDG and Line 1 is from Orly but I'm not sure. I guess that would become obvious at the airport as Line 1 wouldn't be there if it was from Orly but wanted to check. Also we'll be arriving from the US on United and it looks like the Air France bus leaves only from Terminal 2. Does anyone know what terminal we might arrive at and how difficult it would be to get to Terminal 2?

Posted by
3391 posts

I can't comment on the Air France coach but a taxi ride into Paris from CDG will run you anywhere from $80 - $120 depending on the time of day and how much traffic there is. Taxis charge fares in Paris in the same way they do in most cities but also have a fee for luggage in the trunk. Some people are surprised by this and think they're being ripped off...it's standard though.

Posted by
20004 posts

United is at terminal 1. The Le Cars/Air France bus picks up at exit 32 on the arrivals level. The drop off is by the Arc de Triomphe and its about a 2 block walk to 24 Ave Carnot. Yes, line 2.

Posted by
10175 posts

We are older than Alex's parents, whom he thinks he needs to protect, but still take the buses into Paris with our luggage, either the Air France bus or the Roissy bus that goes to the Opera. We still take taxis too, with plenty of other French people standing in taxi lines to get licensed drivers who have had to pass extensive exams before starting to drive. The car services hire any Tom, Dick, or Harry at a very low pay. When there's an accident with the service, suddenly the driver is an "independent" operator and the service slinks away. When the taxis went on strike for one day, the French tv news reported on these cases with the car services.

Pop up services have been an issue in both France and the US. Just like at Washington Dulles airport, where there are signs everywhere saying not to take rides with people standing in the baggage area soliciting riders, it's the same at Roissy CDG, where plenty of car and motorcyle drivers line some hallways saying Psst, wanna ride? I recommend sticking with a taxi if you don't take the Air France bus. Bon voyage.

Posted by
10175 posts

It's very sweet of Alex to want to give advice. Unfortunately, some of it is exaggerated. First "no French would take a cab from the airport" is wrong. Some, a few, or he wouldn't. The vast majority of people opting for individual vehicles take taxis. A quality limo service arranged by your hotel could be a good option. Be aware that we've had posts here from people who paid in advance for shuttles and limos that didn't show. Therefore, I'd arrange only through the hotel.

Second, the transfer from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 using the internal shuttle train, CDG-Val, could be as far as walking the two blocks on Ave. Carnot from Les Cars Air France to your hotel. Since Les Cars Air France, taxis, shared shuttles and limos pick you up at your terminal, you don't need to make a transfer to another terminal.

Next, there are plenty of drivers soliciting riders in the hallways on the way to the bus exits in Terminals E and F. Alex may be unaware of them if he hasn't walked those hallways, or the authorities may have brought them under control by now. On the other hand, taxis drivers purchase very expensive licenses and take exams which these drivers don't do. Furthermore, the typical wait in line to come into the taxi rank to pick up a fare is two hours for these drivers who barely make a living.

If you opt for Les Cars Air France you should know that these are like US coaches that store your luggage underneath and have cushy seats. When I take them, I just sit back and relax.. Since I'm a dual national who has been living in both countries since before this young person was born, that could explain our differences in points of view. In any case, happy 50th Judy!

Posted by
16893 posts

The Les Cars Air France bus is a comfortable, direct option, serves both Terminals 1 and 2 at CDG, and bus #2 goes to Etoile/Arc de Triumph. If you have Rick's Paris book, see pages 302, 550, and 553. You'll have many more memorable splurge options in Paris than a long-distance taxi.

Posted by
8035 posts

We have been to Paris over a dozen times. I would definitely just get in the taxi line and take a taxi -- it will cost about 50 Euro door to door and you don't have to foof around figuring out how to get from your bus stop to the hotel while tired or using the shuttle at the airport to find the bus. For two persons the small savings of taking the bus which then necessitates getting from the bus drop to your hotel is not worth the hassle. Paris has one of the best taxi systems in the world.

Posted by
72 posts

Thank you everyone for your help. I think we have enough information to make our decision and may very well wait until we arrive to decide. We have been to Paris before and stayed at the same hotel and saw the bus stop so know it is an easy walk to our hotel from there but wanted to know whether it was a hassle at the airport and how it compared in cost to other options. I truly appreciate your answers as they have helped greatly.

Posted by
9546 posts

Judy -- what luck that you're staying right by the stop for the Cars AirFrance!! I find it by far the most comfortable way to get into town short of taking a taxi, and since you pay a flat rate for the bus, you don't ever have to worry about the meter going up in traffic!!

As for Alex, I literally returned to Paris yesterday from Dublin at Terminal 1, and was completely annoyed by the inordinate number of unauthorized taxi drivers hanging around both inside and outside the terminal asking me if I wanted a ride. I was a bit astonished as I never remember this being so bad before (I've lived here for 10 years). So that's a pretty recent real-life experience!

P.s. I find the CarsAirFrance quite comfortable and would definitely put my 60-something and 70-something parents on there!

There are a lot of options that one may consider to move from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata. As per my experience there are some good shuttle services that one can consider. If you are looking for comfort and professional service then you can consider http://dominicanshuttles.com for your convenience. Thanks!!