Please sign in to post.
Posted by
10221 posts

I used them in 2011 and highly recommend the experience. Our guide took us around the Marais, where he had grown up. He was very informative and answered all my questions. He even changed the focus of the tour based on the questions I was asking him. I had been in the Marais a couple of times before that, but I learned so much more touring it with the 'Greeter.' I was with a friend on that trip. Later this year when I return with my husband I plan to do a tour of another area.

Posted by
11 posts

That sounds great--exactly what I was hoping for! I just signed up today, but according to the website, I'm cutting it pretty close since I want to do a tour in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed that something pops up at the last minute!

Posted by
11 posts

I received a reply from Paris Greeters and a volunteer guide has proposed a 5-hour tour. Wow!! We are meeting her at 10:30 in Marais, doing a tour of the Marais, and ending at 3:30 at Notre Dame. I keep wondering if this could be a typo. Maybe 3:30 should be 13:30? Even if it were only 3 hours long, I would be thrilled! So my question is: what is the etiquette for tipping after a free tour--what would be a reasonable amount for Paris? Since the tour is so long, I think we'd have to eat something along the way--would I buy her lunch/snacks? I have no idea if it'll just be the two of us or whether there will be additional group members.

Posted by
10221 posts

Your tour will be for only the people in your party. The guides are not allowed to accept tips. We took ours out for a drink at the end of our tour. Unless you grab a street crepe or something similar for lunch I would be prepared to eat after your tour. Otherwise a great deal of your tour time will be taken up by lunch. My guess is the time should have read 13:30 (1:30 to you and me). If they meant 3:30 (to us) it would have said 15:30. It would be nice to offer to treat your guide to lunch after your tour if you don't grab something along the way.

Have fun!

Posted by
2081 posts

soussia_2001,

i used them when i was there. no problem and i enjoyed it. will probably do it again too.

happy trails.

Posted by
335 posts

Paris Greeters are great! I've used them at least 3 times for various tours and always found the volunteers to be personable, informative, etc. We usually stopped for a cafe or other drink during our walk and we paid for their beverage/snack. On one PG foodie walk in the 15th, we visited various food shops, talked with the owners, bought (and paid for) items there and at a street market, then had a picnic lunch in a park at the end - wonderful! They don't take tips but make sure you make a donation (10+ euros/person, in advance online or after the walk) to the organization to help pay the costs for the one or two paid employees who make all the arrangements, their Website, etc.