Please sign in to post.

SNCF rail website

Having problems booking rail tickets directly with SNCF website for Paris and Aix en Provence. Three times received the "service unavailable, please try again" response. After three tries, the site locked me out. Form of payment that I used was by bank debit card. Anyone has any clue? Thanks.

Posted by
833 posts

I'm not sure if I've gotten that exact error, but one thing I did that worked well was to use PayPal. Went right through. Not sure if you have an account or not, but it's something to consider trying if you do.

Posted by
11507 posts

leonrex I have never been able to use my debit card for such a purchase online for Europe.. only my credit card.

Yes, many sites will lock you out after three trys. You usually have to wait 24 hrs and try again.

Posted by
11613 posts

It could be that your bank is declining the transaction, you should let them know that you will make purchases from websites (and stores, etc when you get to France). This is true for credit cards as well.

Posted by
6898 posts

I'm betting that it's the debit card. Use Paypal or a credit card. I have no problem purchasing tickets on SNCF although I haven't purchased one recently.

Posted by
16893 posts

Only the PayPal option has been reliable in the past year, since SNCF seemed to change how they process credit cards. Rick’s France rail travel page has the link and tips for buying “Prems” rate TGV tickets through SNCF (cheap, reserved, nonrefundable, available about three months ahead) to print at home and pay with PayPal.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you all for your helpful hints. I have an account with Paypal but the tickets that I was trying to reserve did not have a Paypal payment option. I think I found the problem. I called the bank this am, and was told that it was not allowing any international purchases. Explained to them my intention, and they told me they released the hold. Now I have to wait tonight and try again.
Thanks everyone for your help!