Please sign in to post.

Metro question

Hello all,

I know this is going to probably sound like a dumb question, but the cashier/ticket offices at Metro stops do speak enough English to help me get where I want to go, correct? (Eiffel Tower and Arc de Trio.) I was looking online and looking at the Metro website and when I clicked on tickets it said that there was no English translation for the page, thus everything was in French (which I can't read :-/ )

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
211 posts

Most Parisians speak English even though they may say they don't. And plus there will be lots of other English-speaking tourists around. Just study your Metro map and you'll be fine. And remember to say "Bon jour" before you ask a question and "merci" when you receive your answer.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks for the info on the Bon jour and Merci!

I have studied the map and know the stations, I just wanted to make sure I could speak to someone if something arose.

Posted by
32198 posts

I've never found language to be a problem when dealing with the ticket agents at Metro stops. There are two approaches you can try....

• Use English, but be sure to speak slowly and clearly, and use simple words (no contractions or slang).
  • Use basic French. For example, "un carnet, s'il vous plait" usually works for me.

You may find it helpful to have a look at the excellent Paris By Train website. Which tickets you'll need will depend on where you're going. The "t+" tickets are used within the city centre (Zone 1), but if you're going to Versailles or a bit further you'll need different tickets.

Posted by
2261 posts

We were confused about something or another one day, and my wife walked up to the window and just asked her question, without any greeting. She was greeted with "BONJOUR BONJOUR BONJOUR" quite loudly from the woman behind the glass. My wife was about to speak again when the gal said it again, even louder. I approached the window and gave her a big American "Bonjour" and an equally American smile and she relaxed, but we took her point-basic courtesies are valued in France. That was the first and the last time we made that mistake. They were really quite helpful, just more businesslike than a lot of us are accustomed to. The Metro was a breeze after the first couple of rides.

By the way, you can copy text and drop it into Google Translate, very helpful.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
2081 posts

njc707,

If you are concerned about getting around "in" Paris, try finding a subway map either online or on one of the Paris maps, or RS book.

from there you can figure out where you want to go.

I got one of the Bosch Paris Maps. Its in French, but you can find most of the touristy things and on that map are subway access points. Since the lines are color coded along with a Letter, its just a matter of finding access/transfer points.

I only took one bus there and all i remember is trying to figure out where it went since the map was pretty cluttered with all of the bus lines.

Of course asking is fun to.

happy trails.

Posted by
9420 posts

In France, saying hello, thank you, goodbye, do you speak English... all in French is very important. The French are wonderful (other than the occasional grump) as a whole but they value good manners. It is easy to lean these basic phrases in French before you go.

Btw... "carnet" is pronounced... Car-nay.

Posted by
11613 posts

You shouldn't have a problem. Between your "Bonjour" and "Merci" you can give the person a piece of paper with the destination written on it if you think your pronunciation is really bad.

Posted by
355 posts

Just as an FYI, many Metro stations are not "manned" with a ticket agent, only machines. So, take a look at the website mentioned above (Paris By Train) to become familiar with the ticket machines. You can always ask a passerby for help, using the same basic courtesies. What's the line from Streetcar Named Desire" - "I have always relied on the kindness of strangers". It usually works in Paris :)

Posted by
8035 posts

There is no reason to need to ask clerks how to get places on the metro. Get a map the first time you ride (they are free at metro information counters 'bon jour, un Plan see voo play' suffices to obtain one. Once in the system it is dead easy to find your platform. You don't buy a ticket to the Eiffel tower or Arc du Triomphe -- you buy metro tickets and then you take the metro that your map shows will get you there. The metro is very well signed and before you enter the gangway to the platform there is a list of stops, so you can double check to make sure the stop you want is in that direction. When you exit the metro there is a local map 'Plan du Quartier' which you can use to organize your walk to where you want to be.

Of course to be able to do all this, you need to know what metro stop you need. That is what guidebooks are for -- or the internet.

I wish the Chicago El system was as well signed and organized as the Paris metro.

Posted by
10176 posts

I wish the New York subway system were as well signed as the Paris metro!