Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Dijon

Going from Paris to Provence. Would like to take a train to Dijon first and rent a car to drive the rest (stopping in Beaune, Vezelay,etc on the way). Is this a good idea? Didn't really want to rent in Paris because of the horrible traffic. Is Dijon a good place to rent a car?

Posted by
3689 posts

Do you need an automatic transmission? If you do, I would encourage you to reserve the car from the airport in Lyon. If you do not need an automatic then Dijon would be a good place to pick up the rental. That is not to say that you cannot rent automatics in Dijon; it's just that automatics are easier to find in larger cities, especially at airports.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks. Manual is fine but you make me think about availability- we have 4 people and big bags. May be slim pickings.

Posted by
10183 posts

Nothing wrong with Dijon because there are plenty of rental agencies at the train station, but as Ed always says, why pay for both a train and a rental on the same day? Just rent on the southern edge of Paris. The worst traffic getting out is between Denfert-Rocherfort and the Porte d'Orleans. Or rent near Bercy and take the ring road to the autoroute. The peripherique could slow down but you'll get through it. If you still want to rent in Dijon and be assured of the size car you need, you can go through AutoEurope.com and be sure the car is waiting for you. They sign yearly contracts with the agencies, you pay when you reserve (but can be reimbursed). Just a reservation guarantees nothing, as in the States, but with AutoEurope the car will be there.

Posted by
6898 posts

Steve, Dijon is just fine. We did this in reverse coming from Barcelona. We rented in Nimes and turned the car in at Dijon. There is a large rental parking lot in the lower rear of the station. As I recall, there at least are three rental car agencies in the train station.

Posted by
10 posts

Good to know. Thanks

This may require a different thread but has anyone driven from Paris to Provence? If so, is it realistic to hit a few cities on the way and still make it to Chateau de Gout in one day?

Posted by
10183 posts

You can check out all your options for getting there in one day on viamichelin.com. It will give you distance, time, and cost.

Posted by
10 posts

This is great!
Long and expensive drive. Maybe I just take the TGV to Avignon and get a car for the week. The Luberon looks to have just as many cool sites as Dijon. The money I save from from gas and cheaper rental would be offset by the train ticket.....close.
Thanks.