Please sign in to post.

Lourdes france

We've been reading on line and will be staying in Montpillier for 2 weeks and want to visit Lourdes. Been to Europe many times so not afraid to hop a train... We are sharing a car so thought we'd take the train so no hassles. Would that make sense? Travel one day early and see part of Lourdes and then see the rest the next day and take the train back. Is that too much time there?? It said it was a 4 hour train ride - it that realistic? Is there as fast train or one with little change of trains that you can recommend that would be the best way to go. Looks like there are lots to see there..what ate the top 5 things to see? Is the pilgirmage with candles at night a must see. Thats what the chats say? Thx!

Posted by
16893 posts

Train connections take 4.5 - 5 hours with one change at Toulouse. Some of these are branded TGV and some other, but most departures require a reservation. I think it's a long way to go without staying overnight, but technically you could leave Montpellier about 6:00, arrive Lourdes at 12:00; return from Lourdes at 17:30, arriving Montpellier at 22:00. See also Train Schedules Online.

Posted by
1446 posts

I think that you will be glad to have stayed the night, if you go overnight. You will not need to travel on a dreadfully early train to get there and you get a chance to see the evening procession.

SNCF sells very cheap tickets on their trains, if booked directly AND early (as soon as sales open for your dates). I would set aside the date that you reserve for this side trip early in your overall planning process. Buy the train tickets as soon as they are available, and book one of the many rooms available in Lourdes through a site such as booking.com.

Posted by
3391 posts

This plan is very good! I haven't taken the train to Lourdes so I can't speak to that. Take the train and get there in time for lunch. There is actually a lot to see in the town and at the pilgrimage site. It is quite extensive and there is a lot going on. The procession at sunset is well worth your time! It's one of the more amazing things I've ever participated in; grab a candle, get it lit, and walk with the hoards of pilgrims around the main area in front of the grotto church as they sing and pray...I'm not Catholic but I always take part in religious ceremonies whenever I can and this one is at the top of my list! In the morning you can go back and see more of the pilgrimage site and then see the town. It's a little disheartening with all the kitschy shops selling religious doodads but it's a sight to see. Find the red line that the nurses follow pushing the ill from the hospital/hotel down to the grotto and grounds. There are some nice restaurants down overlooking the river.

Posted by
1994 posts

Nancy, I've been to into Lourdes twice. The first time I had two days, and the second time I gave myself four days. The Rosary procession at night is quite moving, and I also really enjoyed the quiet of very early morning masses at the grotto itself. Additionally there's a beautiful stations of the cross that goes up an adjacent mountain. It's a very holy place, and I really enjoyed having a little bit of quiet time to experience it. You can take a look at their website, which will give you an idea of the size of the precinct. That may help you decide how long to stay.

I took the train both times. One time I came from Paray le Monial, and that took a full day. Another time I took the train from Paris, and that was at least a half a day. But the train rides were pretty.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.