Please sign in to post.

Train or car?

Hello Francophiles! I need your help in planning a wonderful trip in October. My adult daughter and I are spending time in Paris, then heading to Provence to tour the area. On our way back to Paris, we'll stay at a castle close to Paris. What I am wondering is if we should: 1) take the train from Paris to Aix, rent a car there to tour around, train to as close to castle as we can, then train/bus to airport or 2) rent a car from Paris airport and drive the route listed above.

We will have minimal luggage the whole trip. I understand trains are expensive and we only want it for 2 trips...out to Provence and back. Is it worth it? The drive from Aix to castle area we are considering is 10+ hours...seems like a lot of driving for a day.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Posted by
8 posts

I haven't picked it out yet but I'm loving Chateau d'Esclimont and the address is: 28700 St. Symphorien-le- Château. Here are the instructions to get there so I know I can take a train from Paris to get there.

The château is 50 km southwest of Paris near Chartres. From Paris take A-10 to A-11 west to Pont de Saint Cloud; exit at Ablis, and continue west on N-10 for 5 km; turn right in Essars for St Symphorien-le Château. Or you can take the train from Paris (Gare Montparnasse) to Rambouillet; from there, take a taxi to the château.

What do you think? Train from Aix to Rambouillet to stay, then on to Paris? We have a flight leaving CDG 2:00p.

Posted by
388 posts

Since trains zip from Paris to the south quickly and easily, it would save a lot of time and money to simply train down to Aix or Avignon and pick up a rental there. Try booking your rental before you go on www.autoeurope.com or www.europebycar.com. Im not sure which castle area you are referring to but if you are talking about the Loire valley, it would probably be best to train back to Paris and then down to the Loire Valley.

Posted by
139 posts

I agree that taking the train for the long hauls then using the car saves time. Time is money when you are traveling.

Posted by
9110 posts

It's pretty hard to swallow a blanket statement without all the details:

Paris to Aix:

Car: You're off on the estimated times. Paris to Aix is seven hours of road time. Stops are extra. Gas will run about a hundred bucks and tolls around seventy-five.

Train: Three hours. One hundred fifty to two hundred fifty dollars for two tickets depending on departure time. In either case, you'd have to add on twenty bucks for the daily car rental price since you'd be using two modes of transportation on the same day.

Analysis: The train is either a wash or more expensive in cost. The train in better for time as long as you don't want to see anything along the way - - and there's plenty of that. My car costs are real close to dead-on - - assuming a forty mpg small car. Anybody could refute my train costs in either direction. If you get better train numbers, plug them into the matrix in lieu of mine.

Aix to Chartres:

Car: The same seven hours with the same provisions. Tolls will go up by about ten bucks. Gas will be about the same. Call it one eighty-five.

Train: Six hours with at least a Lyon to Montparnasse change in Paris and possibly one in Valence depending on departure time. Cost would range from one seventy-five to two seventy-five, depending on departure time. You may want to stick in the day's care rental again for getting around - - your call.

Analysis: Same as above.

Car Rentals.

AE is not necessarily the best source since they're a consolidator and have no cars - - you have to live with who they foist you off upon. They require you to pay up front, so you have no leverage to shift to the next counter and get those guys to match the deal - - they always will.

EbC has the same drawbacks with an additional problem - - you can't get an immediate quote and have to go back and forth by email.

There is no need to reserve far ahead. Prices will be about the same for a distant future date as they will be for the same date on the day previous, or even on the same date. What you want to do is reserve on-line instead of walking up blind to the counter. I take care of mine at the departure gate when there's nothing better to do. If I screw up, I do it on the landing roll. If I really screw up, I do it a couple feet from the counter and go snag a cup of coffee to give it time to enter the system - - sometimes I have to wait at the counter in that case until the computer coughs. The price is always about what I'd expect.

You'll have a larger selection at Avignon than Aix, especially if you'll need an automatic. If you switch, neither the times nor the costs in the matrix will shift appreciably.

Unsolicited Observation:

Aix is a royal son-of-bear for driving in and out of, especially if you're staying inside the one-way ring around the historic center. Nimes is best. Avignon in the middle, but closer to Nimes in ease of workability. As an example, I can get from Nimes to Apt in the same amount of time as I can from Aix, although it's almost twice the distance. You'll have your own reasons for selecting Aix, but it's a thought. On the other hand, if I had to rank the three cities for likeability, it'd be Aix, Nimes, Avignon from top to bottom.

Posted by
1021 posts

How much time do you have for the trip after Paris? Look at taking the TGV to Avignon about 2.5 hours from Paris. Buy train tickets online early to get cheap seats; on sale 90 days in advance. Be sure to use the SNCF site not Raileurope.

Get the car in Avignon to start your tour. If Aix is a must, drive there through the Luberon. Many other places to see in Provence. Michelin Green Guide to Provence has all the sites, driving routes, places to stay, restaurants.

Depending upon the time you have, you could see more places on the way to the castle by car. Or take the train from Avignon if that works best. Frankly I wouldn't let cost of transport enter into itinerary decisions when you have limited time.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you so much for all your suggestions!!! I really appreciate your input. I have some things to think about.

Posted by
4132 posts

Is it too late to think about an open-jaw itinerary?

Posted by
2 posts

You should consider flying into MRS also. It invariably is much cheaper than the train. I have flown from Paris to Mrs for the last three years for under $75 USD each way.

Posted by
4154 posts

You might consider signing up for emails from Voyages-SCNF: http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/?rfrr=reserver%20un%20billet%20resultatsheaderhome. Go down the page a bit to the box that says "Receive the latest train deals" and sign up for the newsletter. I think the TGV between Paris and Aix is the way to go, but be aware that the station is quite a distance out of Aix.

We stayed in Aix in late June 2012 and took that train back to Paris. We got the best fares by buying the tickets online as soon as they were available and putting France as our "pick up country." If you put the US, you will be shifted over to RailEurope, there won't be as many departures listed and the prices will be much higher. I printed the tickets at home and they worked just fine.

Oh, and we paid 25 euro per person. When you check out the website you will see many deals in that price range now for the summer. You can't book anything yet because October is too far away, but by signing up for the email newsletter, you will know when there are deals.

In general, I think you need to be looking about 90 days in advance (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that). And you will notice that there are different prices for different times of day. For example, I just tried Paris to Aix on 1 July and found prices ranging from 25 euro to 57 euro depending on the time of departure. I don't see that as nearly as expensive as driving would be each way and it takes only about 3 hours.

Y'all are going to have a blast. We stayed in an apartment in Aix for 8 nights and explored the area by car: east, west, north and to the bottom of the Camargue where it meets the Mediterranean.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you all!!!! I love that we can share our experiences and benefit from everyone. You all are great!

Lo, we ARE going to have a great time once I figure out if I want to drive, fly, or train to Provence. I'll take into advice what everyone said and decide. My daughter and I can't wait!!! I hope it won't be my only trip, but certainly it's my dream trip to France.

Thanks again!!!!

Lydia