Please sign in to post.

Home base in Provence

We are planning 5 nights and days in Provence, with a car, in early June. I would appreciate any recommendations for a favorite B&B or small hotel that would be convenient for day trips to both the Arles and Vaison de la Romaine areas. If not.... suggestions in each area and we will stay in both regions. Thanks.

Posted by
31 posts

Brian

A couple of years ago we stayed in Provence for a week. We divided our time between Arles (Hotel Calendal) and St Remy (Hotel Du Soleil). While we liked Arles, we thought we would have just as soon stayed the whole time in St Remy. From there we did trips to Pont Du Gard, Orange, Vaison De La Romaine, Roussillon, Isle de Sorgue... well you get the idea. It was a great place to start out from and a great place to come home to each night. From Arles, we did do a day trip to Avignon.... but both are fairly close to St Remy.

If you do go to San Remy, try to track down the "Anthony Boudain-No Reservations" show that he did on Provence but entirely in the town of San Remy. Everything will look very familiar when you go there after seeing it.

Have fun. It will be lovely.

Jennifer

Posted by
3696 posts

St. Remy... hands down my favorite home base in Provence. It is centrally located and a beautiful drive into the town as well as just a great place to wander around in the evening. Avignon is too big for my taste and even Arles has a different feeling. Don't miss the markets in St. Remy..think they are Wed. and Sat. One has items as well as food and the other one is mostly food.

Posted by
380 posts

Brian, check out Hotel sous les Figuiers in St. Remy. We loved it. It's a hotel but feels like a B&B. Very close to center of town but in a shaded and quiet spot. Very nice people and great breakfast. Don't miss the Wed. (and Sat., I think) market in St Remy. Have a great time!

Posted by
3696 posts

Hotels in St. Remy... VanGogh... a little sparse, pool, parking and breakfast and very cheap about 2 or 3 blocks from the main center of town. Upscale, beautiful, Les Atiliers de la Image (sp) expensive, parking, beautiful breakfast and right in town. I stayed at one other little B&B near the Hotel VanGogh, but can't remember the name, but have not heard of many places to stay in St. Remy that weren't nice.

Posted by
8 posts

Hello,

We stayed in Avignon at Hotel du Parc. Our room was clean, comfortable, very cute with a teeny tiny bathroom. We really enjoyed our stay. Arles, Nimes and Gordes are an easy drive away.