Please sign in to post.

Paris day trip

Good day,

Would there be enough time for a day trip from Paris for Brussels AND Bruges?

Thank you

Posted by
1589 posts

nope, unless you want a 5 minute visit to each.

Posted by
299 posts

Bruges would be a nice day trip if you start early. Part of its pleasures is wandering around the canals so you don't want to hurry it. And the Halve Moon Brewery tour is fun. A couple of really nice museums too if you're interested but mostly it's a leisurely kind of place.

Posted by
9420 posts

It would kill me to go to Bruge just for the day. Loved Bruge and 3 nights wasn't enough for us.
I'd be curious how many days you have for Paris... Most people don't have enough days for Paris and taking time away for a day trip - especially as far away as Belgium - would not be good use of time.
If you have a lot of time in Paris, there are lots of great day trips a lot closer than Belgium...
Vaux-le-Vicomte, Fontainebleau, Giverny, Chantilly, Malmaison, Rouen, Chartres, Versailles, etc.
I hate avatars, but yours is hilarious! Very clever!

Posted by
8 posts

We will be in Paris for 7 nights, and we are planning on visiting Fontainebleau and Versailles as day trips as well. Although we have already been to Versailles once but it is so beautiful and there is so much to see we would like to see it again. As well I have studied the French Revolution quite a bit in the past year so a second visit to Versailles will be so much more meaningful now that I understand the history a bit better.

Anyways, I think I may be able to get away with a day trip to Brussels, but not to Bruges too.

thanks !

Posted by
11507 posts

If you had to choose between Brugges and Brussels.. choose Brugges. Much cuter.

Posted by
8049 posts

to each his own -- but there are easily a couple of dozen day trips within an hour of Paris that are more interesting than Brussels. Brugge is a cute town -- we once spent one night around Christmas there and it was pretty magic at night enveloped in fog -- the only thing breaking the mood was the Christmas carols playing on tinny little speakers tucked under the eaves. Those canals and bridges at night in the fog were stunning.

but rather than taking that much time to get there for a day trip, I'd go to Cressy la Chapelle or Auvers sur Oise, or Senlis, or Moret sur Loing. You can see some of these in my photo journal under 'day trips from Paris.' www.janettravels.wordpress.com. And there are tons of books with day trip options including Simms 'An Hour from Paris' where we have gotten many of our ideas for day trips. Going as far as Brussels or Brugge, I'd want at least one overnight.