Please sign in to post.

Buying Train Tickets in Advance

I'm trying to buy train tickets 3 months in advance as Rick recommends but I'm running into problems. The message on the train ticket site that is linked to Rick Steves' website says that the reservations are not available yet. The system will only let me book tickets that are about 45 days in advance and then there are only a few seats left. Is there another site I should be looking at? Should I call instead?
Thanks.
Celeste

Posted by
4140 posts

You should be looking at the SNCF ( French National Railways ) site : voyages - SNCF .com . Based on what I'm looking at on the RS website , you are looking at railpasses which , in France , are generally a bad deal . If I've missed something here I will gladly stand corrected . Also go to the " Man in Seat 61 " website for a great primer on European rail travel .

Posted by
8700 posts

The semi-annual European timetable updates will take effect on 15 June. Until each national rail site uploads them, you won't be able to book beyond 14 June.

What are your specific routes and dates?

Posted by
3 posts

Hi, everyone. Thanks for your comments/advice. I was looking at point-to-point tickets on the "Rail Europe in partnership with Rick Steves" website which has a URL of www.ricksteves.raileurope.com. Even though we're traveling in September, I was checking out the trains in May and June - which I thought was possible - so I could get some idea of times and costs for advance tickets. I will check out that other website suggested by Sam and Steve, although from what Tim says, it sounds like I'll have to wait until June 15 to actually buy the tickets for September travel.
We're traveling from Paris to Bayeux, then back to Paris and down to Amboise, then returning to either Paris or CDG Airport.
Celeste

Posted by
20086 posts

Yes, you want to stay as far away from Raileurope as you can, they inflate prices, and only show a fraction of the actual trains operating (ones they can make a lot of money on). If you just want to look at schedules, go www.bahn.com. That is German rail, but they will show all the trains (with a few odd exceptions) throughout Europe. You can also easily find the complete itinerary of each train, how long it spends at each station, what services are available on the train, etc. You will not be able to get advance tickets from SNCF until 3 months before the train departs.

Posted by
4140 posts

Just to elaborate on Sam's last post : Raileurope is a online middleman reseller of tickets with inflated prices , In addition , like hotel middlemen ( Expedia , Priceline , etc. ) they will claim " last 4 ( tickets , rooms , cars etc ) at this price . Looking at direct sellers ,you often find that there are many more of the product available . As Tim says , the schedule change does impact your ability to purchase , but evidently , there is a cobranding between Raileurope and the RS site . I have been following Rick for over thirty years and , in general I like his concepts . But , he is also running a business , and in some respects , that colors things in some instances .