Please sign in to post.

Paris in April

My husband and I are spending 3 nights in Paris after a river cruise in Holland. This is our 40th Annivesary trip.I'd love to hear what people would suggest are sights not to miss. Also eating establishments that are an experience but will not break the bank.

Posted by
15582 posts

Not-to-miss sights depend wholly on your interests. Most people don't feel like they've experienced Paris without a trip up the Eiffel Tower and a visit to Notre Dame.

The only advice I'd give you is to skip the Champs-Elysees, even if you had a week. Well, also that the best thing to do in Paris is just walk and enjoy being there.

Avoid restaurants in areas frequented mainly by tourists if they have menus in several languages. On the other hand, tiny tucked-away little places often have very good food and wine and are quite reasonably priced.

Now I'm longing to return to Paris. . . .

Posted by
11507 posts

I have heard nothing but good reports on this particular dinner cruise and plan on doing it myself.. not sure how it would work in bad weather though..

Calife Dinner cruises.

I also second Chanis suggestion you skip the Champs.. but most folks do like seeing it at least once.. sign.. it looks nice from a distance , the tree lined wide street leading up to the Arc de Triomphe.. but its just not so nice up close, its lined with chain stores.. the cafes are super duper over priced ( home of the 10 euro cokes.. lol ).

I suggest even if you don't care for the dinner cruise you do take a river cruise,, they are fairly cheap 11-15 euros or so.. and you do not need to prebook.. just walk up.. There are several companies that do them.. once you figure out where you are staying we can suggest one closest to you.

For hotels its ideal for first timers to stay central.. in the area closer to river rather then farther from river.. many favor the 4th, 5th and 6th.

State hotel budget in euros and folks can give suggestions ( please we wary of hotels suggest by cruiseline or travel agent, they are often overpriced or not in best areas )

Posted by
2 posts

We have already booked in a hotel recommended by Rick's Paris book. The Port Royal Hotel, hopefully it is close to Metro as promised.

Posted by
10185 posts

Yes, it's next to Gobelins metro stop. As a cross between residential and commercial area there with several very good neighborhood restaurants on both the Blvd. de Porte Royal and Blvd. Arago. You are close to the rue Moufftard, and also have the RER Port Royal stop at the other end of the street, a bus on rue St. Jacques, and much more.

Posted by
254 posts

Not to miss: St. Chappelle. You walk in downstairs and the stairs are tucked in the corner, and could be missed, but once upstairs, unforgettable. On Rick's advice, when we arrived in Paris we were on the lookout for concerts at St. Chappelle (flyers posted nearby) and were lucky enough to be able to see a Bach concert in the evening which was worth every penny of the 60 euros. An hour of classical music in the chapel when it was closed to tourists. Magical.
My favorite meals that are reasonably priced are at the creperies. Yum.

Posted by
149 posts

Although the Louvre is an obvious choice, my wife and I were at the Orangerie Museum at closing and had 5 minutes alone with Monet's water lilies which was a highlight. If you're into primitive art I've heard great things about the Quai Branly Museum from anthropologists who's opinions I trust. We'll do it next trip.

For restaurants, we enjoyed Le Florimon and La Varangue, but on our last trip Chez Janou became our favorite. The staff were absolutely wonderful and patiently helped with the menu. The naked duck breast was the best. We didn't have a reservation but enjoyed sampling a few of their 81 varieties of pastis while waiting for our table out front on the sidewalk.

Posted by
6500 posts

You're getting good ideas here. My list would include Notre Dame, the Luxembourg Gardens, the Marais (including Place des Vosges), and at least one of the big museums (like Louvre, Orsay, Pompidou). A big museum to get a taste of all that is there for your next trip(s) when you hopefully have more time. Maybe a small one (Cluny, Orangerie, Picasso if it's open by then) depending on your interest -- there are dozens of museums about everything from hunting to telegraph to individual artists. The Metro will get you to places fast, but don't neglect to spend time just walking, stopping in cafes for rest or relief, sitting on park benches, watching the people. One time we watched the rush hour traffic ballet at Place de la Bastille for half an hour, including old ladies on bicycles, young men on motorbikes, big trucks, all getting where they were going with maximum drama and minimum contact.

I agree about the Champs Elysees, but the Arc de Triomphe is worth a visit (via pedestrian tunnel to avoid the traffic ballet). Everyone sees the Eiffel Tower, most want to go up it, but you could stop at the first or second landing and get a great view without investing the time and aggravation to go all the way to the tippy top. Or (and this is a minority view here) try the Tour Montparnasse for a comparable birdseye view with fewer crowds and, as a bonus, the Eiffel in sight.

What you spend your time doing really depends on your interests and energy (I like to cruise after a city visit, not before, when possible). I'd only suggest that you not try to see everything in just two full days. As Our Leader reminds us, "Assume you will return."

Posted by
9 posts

Take the Batobus to hit most of the important tourist stops, and their website offers directions to other places nearby the stops.

www.batobus.com

If you decide to go up in the Eiffel Tower, buy your ticket online. It will save you hours of waiting!

http://tour-eiffel.wapldm.com/

Sandy

Posted by
7 posts

A cruise on the seine river, climb until the last floor of the eiffel tower, visit the tomb of napoleon at invalids.

Posted by
9420 posts

Dick beat me to it... Don't miss spending some time in the Luxembourg Gardens... well worth your time. Also, do visit the Arc, but skip the Champs Elysees. And as Chani said, walking all over is fun... my favorite is around and through Ile St. Louis (little island east of Notre Dame), Ile de la Cite (where Notre Dame is), along the river to the Grand Palais, cross the bridge and walk back to the Latin Quarter.
Recommend a restaurant on Ile St. Louis called Cafe Med (it's in the RS Paris guide). Inexpensive 3 course lunch or dinner. Great ambiance, service and the food is good. Enjoy!

Posted by
63 posts

Musee Rodin, Musee d'Orsay, Eiffel, Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, Montmartre - all will keep you busy for 3 days. Add Champs walk to Louvre and you'll be set but exhausted. Leave time for just sitting at a street side cafe and enjoying Paris, or to wander in Lux Gardens. So much to do and the weather in April can be amazing! Carry picnic fare to save time by eating lunch at a destination.

Posted by
2393 posts

Find a neighborhood with a market one day while you are there. Walk around & enjoy the sights, sounds & smells. Put together a picnic and find a park somewhere to chill. Seek out the Art Nouveau Metro entrances - especially the two original ones with the roof - there is a third but it is a replica. Don't forget to just stop and enjoy that you are in Paris!