Please sign in to post.

paris museum pass

I will be in Paris in June - 2nd trip - the museum pass seems to be a good value however there are a number of ones available. Some add on metro passes. Anyone advice on a good pass. We will be staying in a flat in Montmartre.
J Ashley

Posted by
2081 posts

Welcome Joni,

As with any type of pass, do the math.

When i was there, i bought the Museum Pass (w/o travel) since it worked out for me. It wasnt a big savings, but i bought it since it would allow me to skip some of the lines.

your mileage may vary (ymmv).

Happy trails.

Posted by
1976 posts

How many days will you be in Paris? I was there for 8 nights and bought the 6-day Museum Pass and a carnet of 10 Metro tickets. I did the math with regard to the pass and ended up saving 5 euros. But the real savings came when I got to skip the very long ticket lines at the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, and at Versailles.

Posted by
1976 posts

How many days will you be in Paris? I was there for 8 nights and bought the 6-day Museum Pass and a carnet of 10 Metro tickets. I did the math with regard to the pass and ended up saving 5 euros. But the real savings came when I got to skip the very long ticket lines at the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, and at Versailles.

Posted by
6500 posts

I think most here would agree with Sarah's approach. The Paris Museum Pass is a good value if you have the energy to use it every day. It can save you money on admissions and will save time standing in ticket lines. It also liberates you to pop into museums you might not otherwise invest in, maybe just to see one or two things, or because you think you might like them, or even for that most essential reason, the toilet.

I haven't used the pass that includes transit, but others on this board have recommended against it. The Metro carnets are simple and cheap enough, also work on buses which are a fun way to see Paris aboveground.

Posted by
11507 posts

Joni the pass that includes transport is not deal.. but the regular Museum Pass can work out very well. Now.. if you are in Paris from monday- sunday their is the Navigo pass that may work out well for you. Can you let us know a bit more about how long you are in Paris..

Posted by
11613 posts

The agent who sells passes at the train station talked me out of the transportation option. Buy a carnet of tickets, or a few tickets at a time, unless you plan to use the bus/metro at least three times every day. You will probably walk more than ride.

Posted by
15582 posts

An often overlooked benefit of the Paris Museum Pass is that you can pop in to a museum that you otherwwise would have skipped, as not worth the ticket price - or stay for only a short time, since there's no feeling of "get your money's worth." If a museum is crowded, you can leave and return another time. That happened to me once in June at the Louvre. In June the school take kids on lots of field trips, the Louvre was so noisy, I fled, came back around 6 p.m. on Friday and almost had the entire museum to myself. . . less than a dozen people in front of the Mona Lisa! Even if you break even, it's worth it.

Make a list of which sights on the Pass are open on which evenings, and which days they are closed, to get the most out of the pass.

The Navigo pass for the metro/bus system could be a good deal. The weekly pass runs from Monday through Sunday. If you can use it for at least 5 days, it's usually worth it. Sometimes it's nice just to hop on a bus for a stop or two, saving your weary feet for the sights themselves.

Posted by
213 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. We will be in Paris for a week and usually spend our days in galleries, museums and churches. I think the pass will work for us and I will go with buying transit tickets separately.