Please sign in to post.

10th Arrondissement

Hello -

Looking for feedback on the area around 13 Boulevard Marguerite de Rochechouart in the 10th for lodging,

I was looking for an area that was had a neighborhood, less touristy feel - hoping this is an area that it’s safe to venture out early evening, take a jog, etc?

Thx

Posted by
6895 posts

It is a good location, just between Montmartre and the trendy parts of the 9th arrondissement. No safety concerns for me either.
However, if the accommodation faces the street, it could be loud: traffic is significant, and more importantly this is where metro line 2 becomes elevated.

Posted by
10189 posts

The Canal and this area, Barbès, are like apples and oranges. Maps labels this the 9th. We've stayed just west of here many times at metro Anvers/Square Anvers. One more stop after Anvers is Pigalle. So, it's colorful, a bit intense, crowded but interesting. Foodie heaven is to the west on rue des Martyres. You can jog up Montmartre for a good workout.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you - is this specific address considered “Montmarte/SoPi? It seems to be Barbes as mentioned above.

Posted by
6895 posts

It is very close to Barbès, and also very close to Pigalle.
Difficult to describe, really: walk 3 minutes to west, or 3 minutes to the east, and you will end up in VERY different places - both interesting, just different.

Edit: By the way, only real estate agents and some "lifestyle" magazines refer to the area south of Pigalle as "SoPi". That name will get you blank looks ...or a snigger ;)

Posted by
10189 posts

Start up the hill just to the north and you are climbing Montmartre.

I don't have a clue what SoPi is?
If you mean south of Pigalle, that's the rue des Martyrs and St. George's areas. Lots of places to explore.

Posted by
8055 posts

We have friends who live in this area and so are here often and returning to our own lodging late at night from here -- we have never felt unsafe. Lots of great food shops -- including a store with amazing butter. Beillevaire. There are several shops in Paris including one on Rue des Martyrs -- which is full of amazing food shops. There are lots of great north African take out places near the Barbes metro. And there are good street markets for fresh foods. It is in this area that I saw a scrumptious revolving BBQ tray of roasted goat heads, as well as a bunch of different fruits and berries I had never seen before. There are also lots of shops with African print fabrics and craft jewelry.

It is definitely not touristy and has lots of amenities interms of food shopping in particular that you want in an apartment. I would want to know that my apartment building was very secure with the external double door entry set up and good locks on the doors. This is fairly typical all over Paris, but you do want to feel good about building security.