Please sign in to post.

Paris in November

We will be in Paris for 3 days in November (rainy?cold?). We have stayed in the Rue Cler area and the Marais... now thought we would like to experience St. Germain... thinking of short days, wet weather and looking for inviting cafes. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Cathy

Posted by
288 posts

We have been there around Thanksgiving. Weather was quite comfortable. Some rain on 1 of our 5 days. Highs probably in the 50s. Pleasant fall weather. Use a forecast to plan your days. If it looks like rain make that a museum day.

Posted by
53 posts

Thanks... I feel reassured. Where did you stay? I am looking for a suggestion in the St. Germain area or nearby.

Posted by
5507 posts

We were there in January! The locals were freezing. It was balmy for us Minnesota folk, it was low 40s, but very sunny days. Many of the restaurants had their outdoor areas open, either using clear plastic barriers or heaters. We actually ate all our meals outside (with many others). We also really enjoyed our stop at Cafe Les Deux Magots, for hot chocolate

Posted by
6429 posts

You've posted on a board intended for reviews of hotels, restaurants, etc. that people have experienced in France. (Lots of people do this by mistake.) You'll probably get more eyeballs and useful info if you post under "France" on the "Destination Q&A" board, the left-hand column on the main forum page.

I haven't been in Paris in November but I'm sure there's a good chance of some cold and rainy weather. Luckily it's a big city with many things to do indoors and great public transportation. I know there are good hotels in the St-Germain area and I think it would be a good place to base yourself, but I haven't stayed there. I'm sure you'll get good ideas, especially if you re-post under "Destination Q&A."

Posted by
53 posts

Thanks for the heads up!! I thought this was the forum for hotel suggestions! I will re-post! Cathy

Posted by
2922 posts

Hi Cathy, my first trip to Paris was the week of Thanksgiving and I wasn't interested in going to the top of the Eiffel Tower, but I don't remember it being too cold. I wore a winter rain coat and that was all I needed. Just bring layers to put on before going outside. Do bring an umbrella and rain hat.
Rick Steve’s has two guidebooks that recommend places to sleep and what restaurants and cafes are in those areas. Since you’re going to be there for three days, the Pocket guide will work for you: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/pocket-paris.
Rick also lists famous cafes that artists and writers patronized on the left bank where St. Germain des Pres is. How can you go wrong when your staying next door to the Latin Quarter.

Posted by
10120 posts

It's 40-50 degrees with 9 rain days according to Google. I was there November 2019, and nothing was unusual. Doesn't this resemble Portland but with less rain.
Yes, the sky will be overcast and the sun sets a bit earlier, toward 5 pm. but then city lights come on.

Posted by
3961 posts

I haven’t been to Paris in November, but I know Paris is on the same latitude as Seattle, so I suspect mid 40’s cool and occasional rain.

Posted by
2300 posts

We were in Paris just after Thanksgiving in 2019. Weather was in the 40’s & 50’s, with rain one morning. We were bundled up and we’re fine most of the time. We took a night river cruise, and that was cold, but we sat inside until we got to the Eiffel Tower, then went upstairs. We also took an open air bus tour of the Christmas lights and we FROZE! But we survived.

I would stay in the St. Germain area. We loved the Hotel Residence des Artes. Perfect location, jr suite is huge and has character.

Posted by
374 posts

I’ve been twice in 2nd week November. One time it was low 50s to 60 highs/mid-40s low only one day rain; other time was incredibly warm: one day upper 70s, most days in mid to upper 60s and little rain. And of course, crowds were sparse.

Posted by
96 posts

I did the RS Paris tour over thanksgiving about 15 years ago.. It was cold and some rain and I did not dress warmly enough so wound up buying more clothes there. But on an early morning run around the Eiffel tower--i had a beautiful light dusting of snow for my run--fantastic. I still ate at an outdoor cafe in the rain one night--loved it! Be prepared.

Posted by
1 posts

We were there the second week of November in 2019. We had a great week. The weather was in the 50's but we were comfortable walking all over. It was rainy only at the end of the week. We enjoyed the fact that their were no crowds. We waited only 20 minutes to go up the Eiffel Tower. (We loved the views). There as no wait for Sainte Chapelle. We also didn't have any big waits at the Louvre. We stayed at a RS Hotel near Rue Cler and it was a great location. We took the bus or Metro when we weren't walking. We also enjoyed the cafes and had a great dinner and boat tour with Le Calife for an anniversary dinner.

We really enjoy travelling on the "shoulder" of the busy seasons.