Please sign in to post.

Paris hotel recommendation

If you're fed up with the usual rue Cler/Marais/Latin Quarter recommendations, I've just stayed for the second time in a couple of years at the Hotel Soft in the 10th (rue des Vinaigriers). It's not a stereotypically touristy area, but very easy to get to anywhere else in Paris from (close to gare de l'Est) and there are some great restaurants and bars in the vicinity. Despite the latter, the hotel's quiet and the rooms are very comfortable. Good value for money as well.

Posted by
20021 posts

I've staid at the Belta around the corner. Just blind luck, looking for a place close to Gare de l'Est, but really liked the neighborhood and local restaurants.

Posted by
3992 posts

How safe is walking around the 10th arrondissement alone at night for a woman? I'm considering a property called Hotel Mademoiselle. I have a very early morning train to Germany from Gare du Nord and thought it would be easier to stay near Gare du Nord so I can just walk there. I also have an early morning train from Gare de l'Est on this 5 night trip to Paris.

So is it safe for a woman alone to walk between 8-11pm from the metro to the hotel? Thanks.

Posted by
4684 posts

I can't guarantee it, obviously, but if you're from New York City I think it would be fine.

Posted by
3992 posts

It's BECAUSE I'm a native New Yorker (born & raised) that I ask. :-)

There are areas in NYC and in the suburbs (like a mall garage at night) in which I do not walk alone at night. Well lit areas that are heavily trafficked by pedestrians all make for safety at night and that's why I wish to know before I commit to staying 5 nights.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi, Philip, Thanks for your post. I’ve been searching all the travel websites. So hard to know what is what. Location is priority, but near a Metro you can get anywhere. We are staying June 26th - July 4th. No more than around $200/night. I looked up the hotel you suggested from the photos the rooms look very tight. Any input or other hotel suggestions.

Posted by
4684 posts

A lot of Paris hotel rooms are small by US standards. Sorry, but I don't know of any with larger rooms - if you start a new topic on the "France" as opposed to "France Reviews" board more people are likely to respond.