Please sign in to post.

Paris 4* hotel recommendations under $400 Cdn for 2, or impossible dream?

Hi everyone, my adult daughter and I are traveling to Paris in early September 2025 for one week as part of a month long multi country trip overseas (so excited!). We’ve been to Paris once in 2018, and stayed in a wonderful hotel near Sorbonne (Hotel Atmospheres, wholeheartedly recommend this hotel but almost afraid to mention it in case it becomes too advertised and then we’ll be priced out!). I’d love to stay there again but also open to staying somewhere new just to have different experiences.

I’ve searched this forum for hotel suggestions and see others have kindly suggested Hotel Miguet, Hotel Londres and Grand Ecoles, all of which appear to be above our budget of $300-400 Canadian per night, total for two (when searching Booking). Maybe prices have gone up quite a bit since 2018 so my budget is no longer reasonable. Our dates may be too far away to do a more thorough search of Trivago/Kayak too.

But Hotel Atmospheres looks to still be within budget (barely) and I’ve also seen Hotel Duc St Simon which would fit our budget too - anyone stayed there? Open to suggestions: prefer 4 star (to be spoiled!), quiet, with A/C, central Paris. This trip will be history and art focused (daughter is an artist, so we’ll be soaking up as much art as we can in one week). Also we plan to day trip to Giverny and Versailles so prefer to stay near easy train station access to get there.

The 7th arrondissement would be nice to stay in as we missed Rodin (and also Rue Cler) last time but that area and hotels looks very touristy aka pricey ? Le Marais definitely looks good too to be near museums but probably we don’t want to stay near Gare du Nord or as far away as Montmartre (but we’ll day trip to Montmartre again for sure).

I’m completely happy to return to Hotel Atmospheres again but considering all options as we have some time to plan this leg of the trip too. I appreciate all of your ideas! Thx Maria

Posted by
603 posts

For anyone who wants to help out 400 Canadian is about €260

I

Unfortunately, for you, September is very popular because it’s conference season. However, you are looking too early. Most hotels do not list rooms more than about 11 months in advance so you’re probably not going to find a lot of options until at least next month and some smaller family owned hotels don’t even do it at 11 months, but I would definitely not even start until late, October

Posted by
14575 posts

I agree with Carol and will add hotel prices have gone up a lot since 2018. They went up after Covid and then this summer really skyrocketed due to the Olympics. They came down a little for Sept 2024 and a bit more after Oct 1. I actually changed travel dates slightly because hotel rates were so much lower in early October. You may have to bump your budget or go further out.

I do like Hotel Muguet a lot and will be staying there in a few weeks. My other go-to in the Rue Cler area is Hotel Beaugency which is a little cheaper than Muguet. Ive not stayed there is a couple of yeas and last time I felt it was pretty tired looking. They apparently have new owners as well. I’m staying there in a few weeks too so I’ll put my thoughts into a trip report when I return home at the very end of Oct. These are solid 3* hotels so if they are out of range you might have difficulty finding a 4* in this range.

I know a lot of forum folks feel Rue Cler is touristy but I don’t. I like to watch the parents walk their kiddos to one of the schools at the end of Rue Cler each morning. The waiters nod and talk with the locals who are walking their dogs. When I first traveled after the pandemic in Oct 2021, the cafes along there were jammed with young professionals having apero.

If you find something and can book with good cancellation policies I’d do it. Then continue to look and cancel if you find something better.

Posted by
38 posts

Thanks for the advice Carol and Pam. I thought I was looking a bit early but I’m a planner so like to have a few places ‘shortlisted’ for further review in late fall. I definitely will check back to read your latest reviews of these hotels after your October trip too Pam.

Our Paris portion of this trip is the first week in September which I was sort of thinking might mean less crowds (I wasn’t sure if the kids go back to school by then as they do here)? But with conferences on I’m guessing Paris is always crowded year round so we still will prebook the major museum sites anyway to be safe (and the free admission first Sunday of the month in September will be busier still?). At least we’ll miss fall fashion week as I think that’s month end. But crowds aside, as has been said ‘Paris is always a good idea’ …thx again for your advice, Maria

Posted by
6472 posts

Well, I'll be interested to read Pam's comments about the Beaugency, as well. We've stayed there several times, and liked it, but tried the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles one year when the Beaugency didn't have a room available for our dates. We were seduced by the Grandes Ecoles, and have stayed there our last two visits to Paris.

We did like the Beaugency, however, and if the photos on their website are any sign, they have significantly spiffed up the rooms and improved the breakfasts. We'll be back in Paris in September or October of 2025, so eagerly await Pam's report.

Posted by
2482 posts

The * system in Europe has nothing to do with quality. It is an indication of the amenities offered (restaurant, pool, etc), but is not a rating of the quality of those amenities.

Posted by
10 posts

I don’t have any suggestions, but do want to add that 4 star has nothing to do with quality, but rather with amenities. I’m sure you (and your wallet) be equally happy in a 3 star hotel with high ratings on Google or Trip Advisor. Personally I don’t see why a spa or fitness center or restaurant inside the hotel would be beneficial in Paris. You’re going there for the art, not to get massages.

Posted by
38 posts

Beaugency (and Grand Ecoles Hotel) both look very nice and are now on my short list. However both still are listed as being more expensive than Hotel Atmospheres, at least at this early date. Sounds like waiting another month or so is a good idea, to see if prices fall a bit?

I’m very interested to read Pam’s trip report after her late October visit. That timeline is about right for us to book our hotel for September 2025.

Very good point about the * rating too. Our stay in Paris in 2018 was the first time we’ve ever stayed in a 4* so we associated that rating with quiet and comfort (especially A/C, which we were very grateful to have in Paris in July). But it appears that these and most 3* hotels have A/C too. Agreed that we don’t want to use (or pay for) restaurants, massages or fitness facilities on our trip, so if that’s the distinction between 3 and 4* then yes doesn’t matter. I’d probably still want A/C even in September in Paris ‘just in case’. Thx again for great advice, Maria

Posted by
14575 posts

"I’d probably still want A/C even in September in Paris ‘just in case’."

Maria, I think this is a good plan. I don't tolerate heat well and want to have a hotel with AC in September. I was at Beaugency in late August 2016 when there was a heat wave - 97F!! - and their AC was very good in the afternoon, lol. I've also been there and Muguet in Sept when I needed AC.

BTW, Muguet has the loveliest linens of any of my regular hotels, lol. It is family owned - by women - and they seem to pride themselves on lovely sheets and towels.

There are a few rooms at each hotel with ET views although truth be told, one of the single rooms I was in at Beaugency had an ET view but only if you stood in the bathtub and looked out the window there, lol!!

Jane, last time I stayed at Beaugency they had finally gotten rid of the ultrasuede bedspreads and replaced them with duvets which was a nice change! Drapes were the same as when I first stayed there in 2014, I think.

Posted by
6472 posts

Pam. have you checked their website lately? The rooms definitely look spiffier than they did when we last stayed there.

Posted by
14575 posts

Yep, I looked at the pictures. This is mostly what it looked like when I stayed in 2022 although the breakfast area looks a bit different. I will have to notice what that looks like this time.

Posted by
8 posts

I just came back from France. I and my adult daughter stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel in the 6th arrondissement. The hotel was better than I expected. It was on a quiet street off a main street but close to a few metros, and was across the street from a nice bistro. The hotel was renovated a few years ago so it was very clean and "cute". The room we stayed had 2 single beds and was bigger than I expected (I thought we would be crammed.) AC worked very well and the staff were very friendly. This is a 4-star hotel and under $300 USD.