Please sign in to post.

Eiffel Tower tour

My daughter and friends will be in France in mid-Sept. any advice on the Eiffel Tower. We took an 8:30 pm tour which we thought was great and the skip -the- line with Viator and Paristour1 with optional access to the summit. We still had to wait in line for about an 45-1 hour, then once we were up there it was fine (second level), and even took the lift to the summit. The bad part was waiting in long lines to get down to the second level. Then on the second level there was another long line to get down to the bottom. They told us that we would be able to go all the way down, which was not true. The guide was wonderful but we never saw her again after the second level drop-off. By the time we got to the bottom it was midnight and they let us out in an exit in the back which was very dark. We didn't know where we were. Any recommendations??

Posted by
2091 posts

There is a lot of construction going on around the Eiffel Tower to beef up security. It's pretty much of a mess.

We have been to the summit 5 or 6 times over the years. We either pre-purchase tickets from the official website or pre-purchase tickets from Get Your Guide tours. Either of these options will work. With Get Your Guide you have a skip the lines ticket and a one hour tour (check the website for other options). The tour covers the history and a walk through the mechanical area under the Tower where the elevators are located. There is no guided tour of the Tower itself, you go up and return at your leisure.

I'd try to get tickets from the official website first. If that doesn't work, look for a company that sells advance tickets. In any case, expect long lines for the elevators. I think the area around the Eiffel Tower is pretty safe so I wouldn't worry about walking around after dark.

Posted by
5187 posts

Surprisingly enough, it looks like there are still some Eiffel Tower Tickets available for mid- September, if your daughter and friends want to tour the tower by themselves.

Wishing them a wonderful trip!

Posted by
419 posts

We skipped the long line by walking up to the 2nd level and catching the elevator to the top. We also walked back down from the second level. We saw quite a few people on the second level who had elevator tickets down walk to the ground level because of the long line. Walking down was pretty easy.