Please sign in to post.

Chartres Cathedral

Wonderful wonderful cathedral. Great audio tour (acquire at the gift shop) So much history & the audio tour explains the stories in some of the stained glass windows. Such a great day tour. Easy train trip out and back from Paris. I was able to spend 3+ hours there - easily.

Posted by
1206 posts

And if you visit the cathedral on a Friday (unless it's changed in the last three years) the chairs are moved away and you can walk the labyrinth!

Posted by
7245 posts

I was just there a few weeks ago, and I also really enjoyed my time there! And yes, the chairs are moved on Fridays to walk the labyrinth.

Posted by
1878 posts

IMO Chartres is tied for the best in Europe (almong the dozens that I have seen) with Salisbury. Strasbourg just a half notch below.

Posted by
73 posts

We were there today and did the Rick Steves recommended English language cathedral and crypt tour. The crypt was amazing. I highly recommend this if you have the time.

Posted by
3961 posts

Definitely one of the best cathedrals. Fond memories of our guided tour with Malcolm Miller
6 years ago. We spent 2 nights in Chartres and was able to enjoy the light show on the facade of the cathedral. What an amazing sight.