Please sign in to post.

Review of Restaurants & Food in Paris

We spent a week in London where food was so easy (find a pub and eat) then another week in Paris where it was more of a challenge. We stayed in an apartment near Luxembourg Gardens & ended up eating at the following restaurants -

Le Doucet - this was a block from our apartment on Rue de Vaugirard and the sign out front said they speak English so we gave it a whirl. Our waiter Benjamin was very helpful and gave us great service. I had the lamb and my husband steak. Food was good, not outstanding but good.

Polidor - we met a nice young French girl in our apartment building & one evening she gave us a tour of the neighborhood and we ended up at this historic restaurant featured in the film Midnight in Paris. Seating was tight, menu in French, waiter spoke a little English but our new friend ordered for us. Starters were pumpkin soup for me and liver pate for my husband. Both were delicious. Main course was Beef Bourginon for me and sausage & lentils for my husband. Mine was delicious, his okay. We were very full by then & asked to take our desserts with us (lemon pie & apple pie) which is not a French thing to do but since we paid good euros for it, we didn't really care. Both were delicious by the way.

Trait D' Union - again very near our apartment, it was very late the night we went here (after 10pm) and our choices were pretty limited at that time. I had chicken and my husband penne pasta. The service was friendly at first but then we were pretty much ignored. My food was good, my husband didn't like his at all. We asked for a take home box for our food & the waiter didn't seem to know what we meant but finally said 'aluminum?' and got us what we needed to package up the chicken. We left the uneaten pasta. I would not eat here again.

La Flotille, Versailles - we had lunch here. Croque Monsoir for me, crepe for my husband. Delicious food, attentive staff, beautiful setting. Highly recommend.

We also did take away food from a Vietnamese restaurant right under our apartment and it was very good.

Lunches were super easy in Paris and delicious. We had baguettes a couple of days, crepes a couple of days and a sausage & grilled onion baguette the day were spent in Montmartre.

Breakfast was easy too. I walked to one of several boulangeries in the neighborhood and got my cafe creme, a pain au chocolat for me & butter roll/pastry for my husband.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank for the review of your dining in Paris! I'll keep the eateries you enjoyed in mind and hope they are as pleasing when I finally get there.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank for the review of your dining in Paris! I'll keep the eateries you enjoyed in mind and hope they are as pleasing when I finally get there.

Posted by
3 posts

Posted by
8 posts

On Rue Cler, near Effiel, there is the Cafe du Marche (sp?, sorry my GF borrowing Rick's pocket guide right now) that he recommended and it was delicious, good prices and good service. A relaxed bistro.