Please sign in to post.

Request for feedback on pre-trip prior to joining Best of Scandinavia in 14 Days Tour

We are excited to be a part of the June 16-19, 2024 Best of Scandinavia in 14 Days Tour. We are planning to add a few days prior to the tour and would like feedback on our proposed itinerary. Thank you so much!

June 11 Ferry from Helsinki to Tallin
June 11-13 Tallinn ~ one full day available to enjoy the city (arriving late evening on the 11th)
---possible overnight accommodations at Rixwell Viru Square Hotel
June 13 Ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki
June 13 Train from Helsinki to Turku
June 13-14 Turku ~ one and a half days available to enjoy the city
--possible overnight accommodations at Hotel Scandic Julia
June 15 Ferry from Turku to Stockholm
June 16 Arrive Stockholm early morning; shopping prior to joining tour at 4:00pm

Again...thank you for sharing your experiences and feedback that will help us to better enjoy the brief time we have have in Tallin and Turku as well as on the ferry/cruise ship.

Lois Jean Fisher

Posted by
6392 posts

Doable, but a bit odd. What led you to this plan and what do you want to see and do?

June 11 Ferry from Helsinki to Tallin

It seems like you are focusing on Tallinn and Turku, so why are you involving Helsinki? Are you planning to travel to Tallinn by flying to Helsinki and then take the ferry to Tallinn? If so, why not just fly direct to Tallinn? The city has flights to most major European hubs.

June 11-13 Tallinn ~ one full day available to enjoy the city
(arriving late evening on the 11th)
---possible overnight accommodations at Rixwell Viru Square Hotel

One full day is a short visit to Tallinn. Better than nothing of course.

June 13-14 Turku ~ one and a half days available to enjoy the city
--possible overnight accommodations at Hotel Scandic Julia

Why? Do you have a special reason to go there? It's not a bad place for a stop, but given the time you have available it's very odd so spend more time there than in Tallinn.

June 16 Arrive Stockholm early morning; shopping prior to joining tour
at 4:00pm

I'm not a tour person, but I'd suggest having a bit more time to see Stockholm and maybe the surroundings. Stockholm is a more interesting city than Turku IMO.

Posted by
136 posts

It seems to me that you’ll be spending a lot of time in transit on your pre-tour excursion. By flying into Tallinn, you would be able to spend part of your first day enjoying the city. It also seems like you’ll be passing through Helsinki twice but not spending any time there, which doesn’t seem to be the best use of time. ( N.B., I’m actually writing this from Helsinki and really like it here, and arrived here from Tallinn, which I adored.). When you are planning your itinerary, also allow for the time it will take to travel to the train stations/ ferry terminals, as well as disembarkation time. You’ll also want to be well-rested for your tour, too, so consider than when planning your itinerary.

Posted by
27121 posts

It would be good to know what happens before you take that ferry on June 11. Is that the day you arrive in Europe?

I agree with the other respondents (and with Rick in this case) about Turku: It's not a bad place, but it pales in comparison to Helsinki, and it's not remotely in Stockholm's league. Unless you have a family connection to Turku or something similar, it doesn't fit into this trip, given the time you have available.

The tour gives you only the evening after the welcome dinner, one full day and a few morning hours in Stockholm. That city really deserves more sightseeing time than that.

You're apparently flying into Helsinki, which is an attractive city (especially blessed with Art Nouveau architecture), albeit one without the medieval core to be found in Tallinn. It would be a good use of your time to see Helsinki.

Tallinn deserves more than one day, but I guess if that's all the time you have and you're willing to take two extra ferry trips in order to spend not much more than one day in Tallinn, it can be done. I think it's fair to say that a lot of visitors would find more "wow" in Tallinn than in Helsinki, so it's not that I consider Tallinn unworthy of a visit, but you're apparently flying into Helsinki...

There are ferries from Tallinn to Stockholm, so it's not necessary to go through Finland twice.