Please sign in to post.

Ferry from Stockholm to Tallinn

We're planning a trip for July 2024 and had hoped to take the ferry from Stockholm to Tallinn. However, it appears that it sails only every other day. Is this the case, or is it just that I am attempting to book too far out and the full schedule isn't yet posted? (It's too early to book trains right now.)

I don't see it mentioned in in RS Scandinavia that it's not a daily sailing, and a detail like this is usually something that the RS books would emphasize.

Posted by
4111 posts

I looked at a random date in July on Tallink Silja line: https://booking.tallink.com/?voyageType=ROUTETRIP&eveningDeparture=true&withVehicle=false&from=sto&to=tal&adults=2&children=0&juniors=0&youths=0&date=2024-07-10&locale=en&country=XZ&marketUntilDate=2024-12-31

On their website, there was a notice that it departs every other day until May 30. Then an additional vessel is added and departures are more frequent.
https://en.tallink.com/stockholm-tallinn-one-way-trip

I am booking Helsinki to Stockholm and read that this line is a bit quieter than Viking. But you can check both.
https://ssl.directferries.com/ferry/secure/booking_redirect_df.aspx?stdc=DF10CA&grid=0&rfid=165&psgr=1&curr=19&retn=false&rfidr=166

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks!

I just found the Viking route after I posted (it's available every day), but it takes 20 hours as opposed to 16 for the other ferry and doesn't arrive until the afternoon. That cuts into the time I'd want to spend in Tallinn, so I think I may explore flights instead.

Posted by
6409 posts

Never trust guidebooks when it comes to things like ferry schedules, those change. And when a guidebook is printed, there is no way to update it.

It's correct that departures from Stockholm to Tallinn are only every other day, but in July there will be daily departures.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks! We decided to book a flight - $75 per person direct from Stockholm to Talinn. This will give us more time on the ground. :)

Posted by
76 posts

We took the Tallin Silja Line overnight 16 hour ferry last June. Nothing glamorous but comfortable enough. Married early morning. Tallin was great. Then another ferry to Helsinki.

Posted by
6409 posts

This will give us more time on the ground. :)

But you'll miss the lovely views of the archipelago as you leave Stockholm…

Posted by
12 posts

We're planning to do a half or full-day archipelago tour from Stockholm so we don't miss it. :)

Posted by
4111 posts

Somehow it seemed like a good thing timewise since most of the ferry ride is overnight. Add in the archipelago tour and hotel cost you get all rolled together and it seems pretty good financially also. I’ll be doing it Helsinki-Stockholm this summer.

Posted by
5807 posts

I don't know when the RS book dates from, but the Silja ferry did used to be nightly. They then got a more remunerative series of charters for the 2nd ferry, and there was probably over capacity on the route. So that is how it became nightly only seasonally. The ferries are known as cruise ferries because of their quality. I absolutely concur that is totally worth the ferry ride for the overall quality of the experience.
Originally it wasn't meant to be a long term change.

So it's just one of those things, where events have overtaken a guide book.

Posted by
8 posts

When I first checked a couple of months ago, this cruise wasn't available the day I wanted either. But checking again now, it is every day during the high season. They use a different ship every other day. I know it is too late for you, but just so others that see this thread know that it is still possible to travel every day on Tallink Skija from Stockholm to Tallin during high season.