Please sign in to post.

Riga, Latvia

This is the closest country I could find on the graffiti page. Does anyone have any tips for Latvia? I will be there for a week in May. Things to do, places to go, hotels in Riga. We want to rent a car and go south along the coast and north to the lake area. Is that possible in a week?

I couldn't find a Rick Steves guide book on Latvia, which I usually use when I travel, so I'm thinking of getting either Eyewitness or Lonely Planet. Any comments on which might be best?

thanks in advance for all your comments

Ola

Posted by
123 posts

There are many monuments and a famous university for a whole country in Riga.
Have a nice stay!
Michal

Posted by
252 posts

I really enjoyed the museum of occupation of Latvia and think it is worth a visit. My other favorite thing was the Christmas markets....but if you are going in May that does not apply. But you should go to the local market located near the city center. I only visited Riga and loved the city. Maybe go up St.Peters church for a great view of the city, if weather permits.

Posted by
1540 posts

I recommend the Lonely Planet book for "Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania" it is much better than Eyewitness. ( I checked both of them out of the local library and found so much more info in the
Lonely Plant.)
I'm going to all 3 countries in May, but will be on a tour - seeing only the capitals.
From what I have read online and in the Lonely Planet book....... there are tons of things to see and do.
Happy Travels.

Posted by
1 posts

Depends on what you like to do. The Old Town is beautiful, Art Nouveau district as well, Central Market is good. From activities 4x4 Riga Off Road was superb and we also enjoyed Riga Shooting Range.