Please sign in to post.

Yorkshire Dales October 2024

Hello my husband and I will be attending a wedding at Ripley Castle near Leeds. We will be in that area for about 4 days in mid October.
We are bigs fans of All Creatures Great and Small and also want to do walks and hikes and explore the Dales.
From an older post it seems that people recommended staying in Settle or Skipton as a base to explore. We will have a car. We plan to do an All Creatures Great and Small tour with Timothy Barber.
What other things should we include in our itinerary? What town? Any suggestions for lodging? (No budget per se)

I’m also thinking if time permits I’d like to see Whitby or Scarborough but that might be packing too much in (I think it’s about 2 hours away by car).

Thank you very much and I’m looking forward to hearing your ideas! I value the RS forums very much!

Posted by
1333 posts

Hi -

If you want to stay in the most recent ‘Darrowby’ then Grassington is the place, with Skeldale House at one side of the top of the square and ‘The Drovers’ opposite, although in October it might be signed as the more usual Devonshire Arms. If you have a car you’d be able to drive up to Hardraw to the Green Dragon, where The Drovers’ interiors are filmed (well worth a visit). Helen’s farm is up at Yockenthwaite, an isolated settlement of no great size at the head of Wharfedale (if neither is included in the ACGAS tour). There are other sites, like Mrs Pumphrey’s stately pile, which is Broughton Hall near Skipton.

There’s a ton of great walking in or around Grassington - pm me if you want suggestions. Malham, not too far distant, is also full of interesting walks and up near Malham Tarm I believe is where James gets off the bus too soon in the first episode en route for his ‘interview’.

If you’re going to the coast then I’d recommend Whitby (or Staithes and Robin Hoods Bay) over Scarborough unless you have a special reason to visit the latter. I have an antipathy for Scarborough which is well documented on this very forum. In October the available daylight will be decreasing but it’s still possible to ‘do’ Whitby in a single, but long, day if you are pushed for time.

If you need more specific or detailed info, feel free to give me a shout! Hope you have a great trip. It’s Yorkshire, so I’m biased!

Ian

Posted by
462 posts

In May this year, we stayed 3 days at Ashfield House in Grassington. It's tucked away off the main street (drive in beside the Devonshire Arms). We stayed in "The Cottage" which had a full kitchen, living & dining room and a couple of bedrooms. In addition to being right in the midst of the village, one of the reasons I chose this particular guest house was for the listed washing machine, which was not working---I should have checked ahead. But we loved the space (more than we needed) and location. There is parking as well as a beautiful little garden area. Breakfast was not included with the Cottage, but we could have added it, which I intended but ended up not doing. The proprietress was great.

The bedrooms are up a set of stairs.

Do visit the website to see this lovely accommodation, a 17 Century, Grade II listed building with a walled garden: https://www.ashfieldhouse.co.uk/

Cheryl

Posted by
1326 posts

As you have a car, Hawes or one of the other villages down Wensleydale might make a good base and its more classic Dales landscape than Settle .Don't stop in Skipton,nice enough in its way
You might want to check if the very old theatre at Richmond has anything on.
As far as I know local muscians have a session up Tan Hill every Thursday.
Same as with my fella Yorkshire posters on here,feel free to msg me.

Going to be humming the theme tune all day long now, very nostalgic

Posted by
77 posts

Hawes is in the middle of the Dales and I spent a week there 2 years ago. It has a great chippy and 3 pubs. Don't skip the Wensleydale Creamery - great cheese and the Wallace and Grommet connection which saved the creamery. While there are walks from there, it will be a bit of a drive to Grassington or Malham. Depends on who comfortable you are driving on the left on narrow roads.

Posted by
15 posts

We stayed in Grassington a few weeks ago on a hiking trip. We stayed at The Devonshire (renamed “The Drovers” on ACGAS)—very comfortable room and a good restaurant. We did a hike from Grassington all along the River Wharfe, past Burnsall and ending up at Bolton Abbey. A beautiful hike, our favorite of all the ones we did in the area. We’d definitely recommend Grassington.