Please sign in to post.

yorkshire

Hello, I am looking for day trips out of York.

Has anyone visited the Yorkshire air museum?
Is it easy to get to Whitby from York?

We will be travelling in late July 2023; using public transport, which has worked well for us in Europe in the past.
The tentative itinerary includes Bath, Cotswolds, York then a flight over to Dublin, Galway area, and back to a day in London before the flight home (nonstop to Toronto where we plan to use a park and stay option near the airport before driving home to Rochester NY)

Thanks for the below great ideas; I'm thinking York may be worth a 3 day stay, with side trips.

Posted by
5744 posts

I've not been to the Yorkshire Air Museum.

I'm assuming you are taking transit from York to Whitby. That route- The Yorkshire Coastliner 840

is often voted the most scenic bus ride in Britain. It runs every 2 hours. If you go before the end of June the route is covered by the government fare cap so will cost only £2 each way.
A great day out.
It is possible on the way back to get a bus down the coast to Sacrborough, then train or bus back to York, or a bus across the North York Moors to Middlesborough- another wonderful route- then train to York.
But let's keep it simple, and just do York to Whitby return.

Posted by
5744 posts

The Yorkshire Maze is an attraction I haven't heard of before, which I see is near the Air Museum, but is only open during the 6 week Summer school holidays.

I assumed the OP was aware that the Air Museum was nowhere near Whitby, and was asking about 2 separate possible trips, as he used the plural word trips.

I should also qualify that the attached Coastliner timetable is the summer one from 2 April 2023.

Posted by
1834 posts

he Yorkshire Air Museum is on my todo list.... It gets consistently good reviews on Trip Advisor. ''Have you come across Eden Camp, on the outskirts of Malton. That is another excellent day out.

Posted by
6539 posts

Possibilities might include, Kirkstall Abbey, Fountains Abbey, Thirsk (think, All Creatures Great and Small), Eden Camp Modern History Museum, Brimham Rocks, The Twelve Apostles Stone Circle, Ilkley Moor Cow & Calf Rocks, and Harrogate. There are plenty of options. How you’re getting around will make a difference in travel plans.

Posted by
233 posts

Elvington has the World's only complete/extant HP Halifax (one of the big three heavy bombers the RAF used in WWII) and worth a visit for that alone.

Elvington is south of York and in the other direction and some distance from Whitby and not really conducive for a same day visit. What one could do on the same day is the York Cold War bunker which is an absloutely fascinating visit. That is a short distance north of York so would need a bit a planning, but doable on the same day.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/york-cold-war-bunker/

Posted by
117 posts

Continuing the military theme there’s also the York Army museum or a day trip to the Royal Armouries in Leeds.

Other non military options are also available