Please sign in to post.

York Lodging

All the B&Bs in RS' Great Britain guide for York are booked for my travel dates. I see the Minster Hotel mentioned a bit on here with positive reviews, but it's not in RS' guide. They have availability if we book 2 rooms. Any other places you could recommend for a family of 4? No car, so walking distance is helpful.

Posted by
9150 posts

OP do you see the 5 white horizontal lines on the left side of the RS FORUM header? Click on them. The Search engine will appear. Type in York BnB’s. Hopefully, you find some recent suggestions.

Posted by
16123 posts

I stayed at the Hampton Inn a couple of years ago.

It was centrally located and only a few minutes walk to almost everything.

If you only go by what is in the Rick Steves guidebook, you're going to miss out on a lot.

Posted by
17 posts

I don't see those horizontal lines. I'm using a Macbook. I do see a search field, which is how I saw the Minster Hotel suggestions.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks--I will check out Hampton Inn. Trying to focus my search since we have booked this trip somewhat last minute. But I think you're right--I'll need to broaden my sources. I see good options on AirBnB and Booking.com, none of which are in the RS guide.

Posted by
17 posts

Grays is booked one of the nights we need.

I must've missed Hedley while searching, as it was available, so I booked it!

Posted by
6713 posts

I don't know whether it's in the guidebook or not, but we liked the Abbey Guest House.

EDIT -- I see you got rooms elsewhere, good going. Have a fun visit to York.

Posted by
3846 posts

I highly recommend the Minster Hotel. I would book it right away.
It's where we stayed on our Rick Steves Best of England tour, so I am surprised if it's not listed in his guidebook.
It's walking distance to York Minster and the sights.
I'd go for it right away.

Posted by
2228 posts

Just because a place isn't in RS, doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it. It is an excellent location and gets good reviews on Trip Advisor (negative ones as always often reveal more about the poster... )

Posted by
112 posts

I also stayed at the Hampton by the train station there last year and had no complaints. Very quiet and clean with a free breakfast. The downsides would be that it feels like a generic American chain hotel so don't expect English charm, and while it was perfectly within walking distance of everything for me, a fit 42-year-old, if you are older or have little kids then it might seem a bit of a hike to the Minster and other places of interest.

Posted by
2801 posts

Galtres Lodge Hotel…it’s a 4 minutes walk to York Minster and a 3 minute walk to The Shambles.

Posted by
7748 posts

Just because a place isn't in RS, doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it.

I wholeheartedly agree. If you only book places in his (or any) guidebook, you may not find lodging. They are limited in the amount of places they can list, due to size restrictions. I do check other guidebooks like London Planet and Rough Guides, but I also check Google and have found numerous and very nice places to stay there.

Posted by
34 posts

We also enjoyed Galtres Lodge Hotel if others are looking. The people there greeted us warmly and were so welcoming!