Please sign in to post.

York

There are so many neighborhood names in York...City Centre, Clifton, Dringhouses, South Bank, Bishophill, Fishergate, Holgate, Fulford, Skelton, Escrick, The Groves. Which are the most convenient to all the sights?

Posted by
1229 posts

I would choose to be maybe within a mile of the walls ,should be much cheaper and far quieter at night than the centre itself.
Theres a very good bus service in York and theres
a max £2 fare on single journeys.
You can also get unlimited day tickets or multiday tickets if you check the bus operators

Posted by
5814 posts

There is a ticket machine at the stops outside the station to purchase multi day tickets.

In August 2023 a 2 day all York ticket cost £8.20, 5 day £20.50 and 10 day £41. Valid on all operators in the City of York.

If arriving or departing by train buy a York Plus Bus ticket with your train ticket for £3.50- valid on all operators on the same date as your train ticket.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you for your replies! I am wanting to book a hotel or B&B, so which of the neighborhoods would be best to be closest to the wall?

Posted by
1851 posts

Have a look at the Bar Convent on Blossom Street. It ius just outside Mickelgate Bar. There is access to the walls here. It's a 10 minute walk from the Railway Station. Cliffords Tower and York Minster are around 15 minutes walk.

Posted by
1286 posts

Hi suelewis11 -

Personally I’d stay within the walls (city centre) if I could. Everything is walkable from there. I know Rick Steves uses the Minster Hotel and I’ve also stayed there. Some have commented that it is a little tired (seemed fine to me) and the location is unbeatable, right close by the Minster. There are a number of budget hotels and I think the nearest to the walls may be the Ibis just outside Mickelgate Bar. It will be unremarkably standard, but is not badly situated. Beware the race day crowds and it may, as will be all chain hotels nearby, be host to irritating hen and stag do’s. You pays your money……

Where ever you stay the centre of York is remarkable. Have a great trip.

Ian

Posted by
7673 posts

We stayed at the Minster Hotel, a short distance from a gate into the old city. Also, it had parking for our rental car. It was great.

Posted by
83 posts

I've stayed in both in the city center and outside and prefer the center. It's wonderful to wander the streets in the evening and not be too far from your accommodation. However, last year we stayed at the Bronte Guesthouse (I believe it's recommended by RS), which is about a 10 minute walk from Bootham Bar. It's a lovely BnB with wonderful breakfasts and kind hosts. Plus, they have parking right across the street with a permit they provide.

Posted by
4412 posts

You should check out the vlog Wolter's World, he just LOVES York and did a whole episode on it recently