Please sign in to post.

yet another train question

I've been reading various posts and websites about train travel in England, and I think I understand... but still want to check with all the highly knowledgeable folks on this forum. My daughter and I will be traveling from London to Dorchester on Thursday 8 June [for a week-long walking tour in Dorset], then Dorchester to Bath on 15 June, then Bath to London on Sunday 18 June. I've done some test-pricing on the National Rail website to see if buying in advance would be worth it, and am puzzled by my results. For example, it seems to be cheaper to get tickets for this week than for the end of the booking window in early May. Does this make sense? And the prices on the National Rail site seem to be cheaper than on the South West Trains site.

Also, I tried to set up an alert and apparently can't do it for dates that are not yet available to book. So what is the value in setting an alert?

I am considering buying a Two Together Railcard once we arrive, but depending on the ticket prices it may not be worth it; I'm seeing fares as low as 14 GBP for the London-Dorchester route. But perhaps I just need to be patient, wait till the booking window opens, and then do the math.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Posted by
16893 posts

National Rail seems to load in the Off Peak and AnyTime fares further ahead than the Advance rates, which would not go on sale more than 3 months out, at the max. I see the Advance rate for London-Bath currently offered for travel through May 5, as low as 12.20 pounds. In other words, don't choose the actual last date of the range that's for sale.

Posted by
1069 posts

The Trainline are a third party reseller, don't understand why anyone would want to pay more buy buying tickets from them.

Posted by
32711 posts

I never suggest that people use third parties to buy from British Train Operating Companies. I don't see the advantage. And going through the horse's mouth is easy, and they tend to get things right, and they don't charge fees.

Also checking the respective companies (I do realise that 26 companies running trains all around the country is a pain - it is for those of us who work on the trains too) allows you to check for any special short term offers.

As somebody who regularly interacts with passengers and their tickets I have seen more than a few instances where a few tickets (specifically from the company mentioned above and one other) have been issued incorrectly or not all parts were included, so the passenger had to buy an on the spot new ticket. Many are correct but I have seen too many errors to recommend using them.

Posted by
2501 posts

The Trainline ALWAYS charges more for tickets than the train operators' websites.

If you think a reseller is offering cheaper, hidden tickets you're very much mistaken.

Posted by
2399 posts

The trouble with the Virgin site is that the dates from which the cheaper Advance purchase deals begin (usually about 12 weeks ahead - but varies slightly depending on the route operator), are not highlighted.

I see that Cross Country Trains are not charging a £10 fee (which all the others do), for any changes to your booking. (Obviously, if you change a booking at a date nearer the travel day, the fares might well have gone up and you must pay the extra). Cross Country Trains operate long distance services that do not go into London. They will sell you tickets for any train operator with no fees. I still think that www.nationalrail.co.uk is the easiest way to search for trains & prices. I would suggest you note these down & then book with Cross Country Trains - where you should find exactly the same prices. (It always wise to check the relevant train operators’ website for any special deals first).https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk

I note that nobody has really answered Kathleen’s query, so I will have a shot.
DCW (Dorchester West) > Bath. Do not pre-book but pay on the day as prices remain the same for the direct trains. (They are slow trains that call at villages along the way - so enjoy the countryside). £14.20 for 1 person or £18.80 for 2 with the 2 Together Railcard.
This journey is with Great Western Trains (along with Bath to London) = www.gwr.com

London Waterloo > Dorchester South (DCW). Advance book specific train when the cheap fares appear on the system. You should get £14.20 or £18.80 for 2 people with the Railcard. This journey is with South West Trains = https://www.southwesttrains.co.uk

Bath > London Paddington - you should get (Advance book) £33.10 for 1 person or £43.70 for 2 with the Railcard.

I think that after having paid £30 for the Railcard that you will actually only save about £14 - assuming the fares above.

Note that Dorchester has 2 stations. The one you arrive at from London is not the one you leave from for Bath. (They are not far apart). Also note that if arriving at Heathrow & wishing to go direct to Dorchester, that you should take the Railair bus to Woking to catch the train. On the journey from Bath to Heathrow - assuming you don’t want to go into London, take the Railair bus from Reading station.

Posted by
809 posts

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions - especially the response from James about our specific itinerary. We will be going to and from London, not Heathrow - we are taking 3 days in London at the start and end of our trip.

So I will start looking at prices for the London-Dorchester and Bath-London segments in a few weeks, and be on the watch for the low Advance fares.

Any other thoughts? Especially on the value of setting an alert?

Posted by
2501 posts

The value of setting an alert?

Well just it's reminder for when the cheap tickets go on sale, nothing more. Stick a note in your diary or tie some string to your finger if you prefer.

Posted by
2399 posts

The fare for Dorchester West to Bath has now gone up to £17.20 per person or £22.70 for 2 people with the 2 Together Railcard. These are pay on the day prices and it does not look like lower prices are available for Advance booking this leg of your travel.