Please sign in to post.

Yet another London hotel thread: solo female, about $150/ night

Looking for hotel suggestions. In the past I have stayed in Southwark, Bloomsbury and Earls Court, and liked them all for different reasons. My most recent trip I stayed in Swiss Cottage to economize and simply didn’t enjoy it.

Have not yet sampled Bayswater.

Suggestions for 5 nights, appprox Oct 12-18? The London Court in Earls Court is sold out so I am looking for fresh ideas. Budget max is $150/night. I fear that with only a month in advance I might not get this.

I’ve managed to get a small single room at the Nadler in Earl’s Court/Kensington for that budget before now - very small room, but with a kitchenette in a cupboard so you can save money on food. It’s a lovely little hotel.

Alternatively take a look at the hotels in Cartwright Gardens in Bloomsbury such as Studios2Let or the Celtic.

Or see if you can get a room at a Premier Inn Hub or a Z Hotel - again, small rooms but nicely designed and some good locations.

I’ve found a good price at Hub Goodge Street in the autumn, and it’s an excellent location.

Posted by
27111 posts

The place I stayed very recently and also in September 2017 might work: Vincent House, 5 Pembridge Square, Notting Hill. Booking.com shows availability every night except September 13, and if you contact the residence itself through its website (which will probably save you some money, based on my experience), they may actually have room for all the nights you need.

The website says the rate is £95 for stays of less than five weeks, but I've been paying less than that. I think the website quote includes dinner as well as breakfast. For this year's stay of 12 nights I paid £80 per night with breakfast and without dinner. I believe paying for breakfast is unavoidable, but it's better than average. It's buffet-style with all the components of an English breakfast (eggs undercooked if it's a day for scrambled, and no crisp bacon, but there are always hard-boiled eggs, plus frequently something I'd call ham). They always offer fresh fruit (melon and pineapple recently), several kinds of cheese and meats (hot and cold), sliced tomatoes (in season) and cucumber, yogurt, and cold cereal. Sometimes there's something special like ricotta-filled crepes or bagels with cream cheese and salmon. A negative is the weekday breakfast schedule of 7 AM - 9 AM, but if you walk in at 9 AM (usually even at 9:05), you'll find most of the food still accessible. Weekend hours are a bit later.

The location is one longish block from the Notting Hill Gate tube station, which gives you immediate access to the Central, Circle and District lines. It looks like a dormitory on the outside, but all the other buildings on the street are attractive 4-story (apartment?) buildings that look like large row houses. It's a very convenient walk to the Portobello Road market, but the location of the residence is quiet. Near the tube station are two supermarkets, Boots, two ATMs, a decent pizza place (Farina) and some useful chain restaurants (Le Pain Quotidien, Pret a Manger, Itsu, Paul). It's a 35-minute walk to the V&A if you prefer to be outdoors rather than take the tube. Kensington Palace, Holland Park and the Design Museum are somewhat closer than the V&A.

I believe the building was built as, and continues to be, housing for people taking classes at one or more schools, but the clientele includes people of all ages and rooms are often available for shorter stays. The rooms have private bath (shower) and are a bit larger than some of the severely cramped singles I've stayed in. This year's room had a mini-fridge; I can't swear that they all do. There's no air conditioning (and I'd hesitate before staying here mid-summer), but that would not be an issue in October. Wi-Fi has been reliable for me, but I always mention that it's important when making a reservation.

I was asked for a £100 deposit when my reservation was confirmed. There's no way to pay on the website, so I sent the credit card number in an email (yes, I know that is a tiny bit risky). I was in Poland at the time, and my credit card company blocked the transaction, so be sure to notify your card-issuer before making that payment.

At this time of year, with no air conditioning needed, I think this is one of the best-value places to stay in the city.

If you're flying out of Heathrow and are considering staying near the airport for your last night, check out the Premier Inn near T4, which is a 15-minute enclosed walk from the tube station. I booked several months ahead but paid only £37.50 for my room on September 9. The hotel is relatively new and the rooms are comfortable, though not particularly large.

Posted by
8667 posts

If you can deal with small rooms try the Alhambra hotel by Kings Cross. Well within your budget. Breakfast is included. Read Trip Advisor reviews before making your decision.

I’ve stayed there and found it practical.

The great Dishoom at Grainery Square is close by as is the British Library.

Posted by
2469 posts

I stayed at The Lime Tree Hotel in Sept. 2017 for 125 GBP a night. It's on Ebury Street near the Victoria Coach Station and a block further from the Victoria Train Station. Very convenient and within walking distance to restaurants and very quiet and safe area. The hotel is small with 20 rooms or so and the staff are lovely. I think breakfast was included in the room rate. One drawback: no elevator.
Also within walking distance of Buckingham Palace.

Posted by
3518 posts

Second for the Lime Tree. Fantastic place. Can't beat the location.

RS used to use it as the hotel for the week in London tour and several others. Not sure if they still do.

Posted by
2602 posts

I just stayed at The Hotel Caesar on Queen's Gardens in Bayswater, quiet and pretty residential area but within 10 minute walk of Paddington for the Heathrow express, or Queensway for a couple of other tube stations and plenty of shops & restaurants. 15 minute walk to Portobello Road area in Notting Hill for even more shops and restaurants.

I paid approx. $135 US for a standard room that included a good breakfast---the hotel was modern, nicely decorated, very clean, very helpful front desk staff and my room and bathroom were spacious. I asked for and received a room on the top floor, 4th, and all in all it was a very nice experience and I'd stay there again.

Posted by
14507 posts

I second the suggestion on the Alhambra Hotel in Kings Cross...very nice, well worth it in regards to comfort, the staff, price, location, (its convenience). I always stay there.

Posted by
96 posts

Thanks very much to everyone for the suggestions. I am glad to hear the endorsement of Vincent House; I have been mulling it for April 2019 for a 10 day stay.

BTW, I am currently in London. Swiss Cottage. In three days I will head to Wales for a week, and then back to the Premier Inn LHR T4 prior to flying to Casablanca for a 2.5 week tour. The October dates are for my return to the UK following the tour. Alas, the NFL is playing in London on Oct 14 which puts pressure on the lower end budget hotels ....

I will scout today’s suggestions tomorrow. Who knows — appearing in person may cinch a good deal.

Thank you!

Posted by
1540 posts

Take a look at the Jesmond Dene Hotel on Argyle St. in London. Just a couple blocks from Kings Cross tube and train station and St. Pancras station.
I've stayed there several times and it is my go-to budget hotel in London.

Posted by
2 posts

If you might consider something a little farther flung Kip Hotel in Hackney was great when I stayed there last year. Its right next to Hackney overground station (but very quiet) which was super convenient.

Posted by
1265 posts

I would recommend Luna & Simone (www.lunasimonehotel.com) it’s in the Victoria Station/Pimlico area. It is on a major bus route and also easy walking distance from Pimlico and Victoria Station underground. A double for single use goes for £135 per night and breakfast is included. On a side note there is no lift and the stairs are a little steep. If you do decide to book this hotel, ask if room #4 is available, it’s on the ground floor.

Posted by
14994 posts

I checked the Nadler Kensington for those days and the cheapest they have is a prepaid single at £180/night. (It's a busy time for them.)

The Premier Inn Kensington (Earl's Court), one block from the Nadler, is showing a prepaid rate for the six nights at £625 or about $136/night at today's conversion rate.