Please sign in to post.

Windsor or Hampton Court?

My husband and I have a round trip from Phoenix, AZ to London in Sept. We end our trip in Athens on Oct 4th and fly to London on the Oct 4th for one night before we fly back to Phoenix on Oct 5th at 9:30am.

We are wondering if we should stay in Windsor or Hampton Court area for that one night? Which is close to Heathrow Airport and is it easy enough to get from those two places to the airport early in the morning? Taxi? Train?
Unfortunately, Windsor Castle will not be open on Oct 4th, but I heard that there are many other things to do in Windsor besides the castle.
Just not sure what would be better to do in that short period of time. I guess I have been to Windsor back in 1983 when I went to Ealing College for 1 semester studying abroad, but I don't really remember any of it.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Patti

Posted by
585 posts

For both Hampton Court and Windsor, Taxi is the quickest and easiest and most expensive - maybe 15 - 20 minutes depending on which terminal. There is a direct bus service from Hampton Court that takes about one hour, which would mean a very early start for a 9.30 flight. Have a look at the rome2rio.com website for all transportation options. Trains and busses are complicated from these two sites, involving changes.

Posted by
32788 posts

from Hampton Court all trains head into London. You want to go the other way.

from Windsor & Eton Central it is possible to connect by train to Heathrow but it would be a pain in the neck.

For both, and for you to be at Heathrow by 6:30 you will need a taxi.

You could walk in the Great Park at Windsor.

You could walk along the Thames or in parks in Hampton Court area.

What time does the flight get into Heathrow from Athens?

Posted by
144 posts

My flight from Athens to London gets in at 11:15am.

Posted by
32788 posts

Hampton Court Palace is open on Wednesdays in October so if you arrive at 11.15 you could be there, having dropped your luggage nearby, by 2 I would think. It will be open until 5:30 (last in an hour earlier) so I would have thought a pleasant visit could be had.

You are right that Windsor Castle will be closed that day (closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays). I would have thought that a couple or 3 hours at Hampton Court Palace would be better than wandering the Great Park or otherwise wandering around Windsor at the beginning of October.