Please sign in to post.

Windsor Castle

I am going to be in London at the end of June. One of my stops is going to be Windsor Castle. I know they have a half-day tour from London. Can someone recommend a tour company, or am I better off taking the train and hooking up to a tour when I get there? One of my concerns is the traffic in London. We are planning to go Sunday, June 25, or Monday, June 26. I have already purchased my tickets for other sights in London, so I don't want to wait much longer to set up Windsor Castle. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

Posted by
13978 posts

Taking the train is very easy. You take it from Paddington Station to Slough and then walk to the Windsor platform which is #1. The 2-car train just goes back and forth from Slough to Windsor and Eton Central. You walk thru the train station and you are literally across the street from the Castle. You do not need to buy tickets ahead for the train. You can use contactless cards to touch in at Paddington and out again at Windsor station. There are big reminder signs to touch out.

I was just in Windsor 2 weeks ago and toured the castle. I thought the free multimedia guide they give you is excellent. Really, you don't need a guide with this and you can see the extra things as you want to see them.

Posted by
358 posts

It's very easy to get to Windsor and hard to miss the castle. If you did take a tour they would have factored in likely traffic I would expect, but still no real need to take that.

Posted by
1075 posts

Definitely don’t take a cab out there, it will cost you a fortune. If you want to see St. George’s Chapel, as mentioned above, book the Monday time as Sundays do not allow you in the chapel.