Please sign in to post.

Windsor Castle

We are traveling to London next week and plan on visiting Windsor Castle on Friday 3/23. We are staying in Chelsea and near the Victoria Coach Station so are planning on taking a bus. How far in advance do I need to make reservations?

Since the trip is almost upon us, have the same question for tea at Fortnum and Mason and also a reservation for entrance to the Sky Garden.
Sorry I have broadened the topic to include all my "reservation" questions!
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Posted by
62 posts

No need for bus reservations - just buy your ticket and hop on. The bus stops just a block below Windsor Castle, almost right in front of the small parish church which is open to tourists. The Queen occasionally attends services there. Lots of interesting royal mementos to see - newspaper clippings and such in their display. If the caretaker is there he will give a short tour. Anyway, just walk up the little hill to the Castle. Lots of small cafes and souvenir shops on the street right there in town.

I am not sure about tea at F & M but I think that's pretty much just show up and join the queue (if there is one).

Posted by
4684 posts

Note that the buses to Windsor don't leave from the main Victoria Coach Station but the smaller Green Line Coach Station on the opposite side of Buckingham Palace Road.

Posted by
169 posts

With the tea at Fortnum and Mason it will depend which kind you want to do. If you want to do the high tea in the room at the top I would look at making reseverations now.

Sky Garden releases tickets a week ahead so I would start looking now since your trip is close. Have a great time!

Posted by
2775 posts

The bus to Windsor will take almost an hour, if you take the train from Paddington Station it’s a 35 minute trip. The train station is across the street from the castle.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks to all of you for taking time to post...it is most helpful.
Just discovered that changing of the guard schedule conflicts with Windsor Castle tickets that I have already purchased, so back to the drawing board. Had planned on taking the bus to Windsor as we are staying in Chelsea and it is only 15-20 minutes away and can walk it. Since changing of the guard is on my daughters bucket list it is a must....I figure we should be free by noontime to locate transportation to Windsor! Is train or bus more convenient if we are leaving from Buckingham Palace?

The Sky Garden looks amazing. Discovered reservations are made a week in advance on Mondays. We are planning visiting that site on the following Tuesday. We will be on the plane on Monday but will try to time it so that we can get on-line and make a reservation while en route!

Posted by
2775 posts

Why not watch the Changing if the Guards at Windsor Castle? You’ll be able to see A LOT better in Windsor, it is as impressive as Buckingham Palace. If you want to see good at Buckingham Palace you will have to be there an hour early to get a spot by the fence, IMO that is a waste of time, go to Windsor and enjoy it there. The train from Paddington is the best way to get to Windsor.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for the info...that would sure simplify life that day!
Will forward this to my daughter and find out if she’s in agreement.