Please sign in to post.

Windsor Castle

Plan to visit in Late June. Any tips or suggestions re touring castle. Also any suggestions re where to eat near castle or near Eton.

Posted by
338 posts

I was there in early June in 2013 and have a few basic observations/tips. We came in by train - it's a short easy walk from the train station, if you're planning to arrive by train. I'm not sure about parking if you're planning to drive.

Show up at opening time (around 9:30ish) and you'll avoid some of the crowds. We were told that it gets busiest mid-day, so later in the afternoon may also be an option. I recommend starting at the top (doll house and state apartments) and working your way down. Make sure everything is going to be open the day you're planning to visit. The state apartments and St. George's do close sometimes.

I thought the audio tour (free with admission) was pretty good, but take advantage of the docents too. When I was there, they were more than willing to answer questions and provide intersting facts and observations.

It took us about 3 hours to see everything. There are lots of little restaurants on the streets right next to the castle. We ate at the Crooked House because it was close, my kids were hungry, and it had food they would eat. It was good, but I would poll others for more varied and more recent recommendations.

Have fun!

Posted by
8688 posts

One of my most disturbing travel moments (15 years past) was walking up the hill from the train station and seeing McDonalds. Globalization had reared it's ugly head. Hadn't been there 5 years earlier so it surprised me. suspect there's a Starbucks now as you make the trek.

That said had a great meal at the Royal Oak pub across the road from the Windsor and Eaton Riverside train stop. Again it was years ago but I was pleasantly surprised.

Posted by
133 posts

We were there last summer. Try to see the changing of the guard. You can get al lot closer to the troops than at the Palace. The doll house is worth a visit. We ate a late lunch at the Duchess of Cambridge Pub, 3-4 Thames Street. Food was excellent, good atmosphere.

Posted by
5331 posts

Starbucks is two doors down from McDonalds in Windsor. Costa Coffee though isn't far away either.

Posted by
2776 posts

Windsor Castle is great. After touring the castle, make sure you visit St. George's Chapel it is so beautiful. You will exit the castle thru Henry VIII gate, right across the street is the Horse and Groom Pub, they have great food, also on High Street (the road that runs in front of the castle) the Crooked House has good food. When you are on High Street with your back is towards the castle turn to your left and follow the road down (5 minute walk) to Windsor Great Park. Walk thru the gates and walk to your left and you will have a great view of the royal residence part of the castle. The long road you see is the Long Walk, it is the private road for the royal family to use to enter or exit the castle. We were just in Windsor in October, had a great time.

Posted by
15 posts

My wife and I were in Windsor in February and planned to go to the Crooked House tea shop. Unfortunately, when we got there we discovered it was closed with all the furniture out of it. After some research on the web, we found a story from a local paper which reported that the tea shop had closed following a legal dispute between the lease holders and the building's owner. The lease holders were evicted, and the owner is now apparently doing some needed repairs (a follow up story referred to a scaffold around the building). The owner said a decision about the future use of the building would be made at a later time.

I submitted this information a week or two ago via the appropriate online form for providing guidebook updates, but it appears that the RS staff must still be verifying my submission because it isn't yet reflected in the Guidebook Update.

In the end we wound up eating at the fish and chip shop a few doors down. Not bad, but not the best I have ever had either.

Posted by
8293 posts

My favourite story about Windsor concerns Prince Charles. A number of years ago he wrote a glossy coffee table book on architecture, one of his favourite subjects. A book store in Windsor had a full window display of the book with a small sign reading, "Book by local author". I like to think this is a true story.

Posted by
8688 posts

I'm going to believe HRH is visiting Mickey D's solely on the corgis behalf. Woof.