Please sign in to post.

Windsor

Planning a visit to Windsor Castle - but just found that the day we plan on being there, the State Rooms will be closed. Does that mean we will not have access to other areas, or are just the State Rooms unavailable? I'm thinking of the Cathedral, and the Queens Doll Collection, etc.

Also, would like to have suggestions of where to visit while in the town of Windsor - since it looks like we'll have more time to roam around the village.

Posted by
40 posts

Yes, you should be able to visit the other parts. The doll house is interesting as is St. Georges Chapel. I wouldn't call it a cathedral since it is smaller, but it is very nice. I will say that the state rooms are the most impressive part of the tour. If you can move the tour to another day, I would. The famous school Eton is also in Windsor.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks, Mark.

Unfortunately our schedule is set - and tickets bought - We'll see what we can - and buy the tour guide for the information about the rest. I was just curious about the other items on the viewing list...

Posted by
1717 posts

I do not recommend going in Windsor Castle on a day when the state rooms are closed. Perhaps a day trip to Hatfield House (north of London) would be satisfactory for you. Trains go to Hatfield station from King's Cross railway station at London (a 20 minute ride).

Posted by
3428 posts

You can take a short cruise on the Thames from the bridge over to Eaton. It is very nice. You get to see the back of the castle, and some of the countryside.