Please sign in to post.

Windermere

We plan to travel in early June to Windermere in the Lake District. We'd prefer to take a train to get as close as possible and then rent a car. Does this make sense?

I believe that Oxenholme is the closest station, unless we make a train change to get to Windermere. Should we change trains and go straight to Windermere? If getting off the train at Oxenholme, rental cars are in Kendal - or are there rentals at Oxenholme?

Should we travel to Oxenholme by train and get a car in Kendal? I believe that Kendal is 2.3 miles from the train station, so how to get there from Oxenholme?

Posted by
5848 posts

There certainly aren't rental cars at Oxenholme. It is a station and a small village.

The easiest way to Kendal is to get on the Windermere branch train one stop- to Kendal.

There is also a bus service down from the station entrance to Kendal Bus Station twice an hour.

It certainly isn't 2.3 miles, at least not by road. A few weeks ago I walked that in 30 minutes with a gammy leg and in snow and ice. I arrived at a funny time when there is a gap in bus service, and the road was also dug up, so was just easier to walk down the hill.

Enterprise should pick you up from Oxenholme (or Kendal Station) by arrangement- their depot is out on the Mintsfeet estate.

Better to pick up in Kendal and get used to the car on the 8 mile drive to Windermere. Windermere itself can be a bit on the manic side, and has a confusing road layout outside the station. I am always surprised there are not more accidents at that junction as it is a bit of a free for all.