Please sign in to post.

Will I need to go through customs in Heathrow if I check my bags through to Lisbon 2020?

I'm flying from San Diego to Lisbon, with a connecting flight in Heathrow. Will I need to pick up my bags at Heathrow and go through customs? We only have 2 hours between flights. I have tried to find this info on the British Airways website to no avail. Thank you for helping me breeze through this layover.

Posted by
5326 posts

You do however need to go through security.

Posted by
15582 posts

When you check in for your first flight, check that the luggage tags say LIS. Ask the agent to tag your bags as "short connection." There may be different wording. Some agents may say you don't need it, but if you smile and ask again, they'll do it. Also make sure you get your boarding passes for the LHR-LIS flight.

LHR is big. Know which terminal you arrive at and which you leave from (this should be on your ticket). If you need to change terminals, look at the BA website to see what the route is. Don't dawdle! I have needed 2 hours to change planes within T5. And remember, you don't have 2 hours . . . even if you land on time, it may take a few minutes to get off the plane and, of course, you have to be at the departure gate before it closes.